Legal Issues with Blockchain in Banking and Fintech: Implementing New Applications
Leveraging DLT Platforms for Recordkeeping, Payments, KYC and More; Concerns With Regulation, Privacy, Adaptation
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide finance and lending counsel with an examination of current and potential uses of blockchain in banking and FinTech. The panel will discuss the advantages of distributed ledger technology (DLT) in cost-efficiency, cybersecurity and fraud protection, as well as the legal and structural concerns in implementation.
- DLT/blockchain/smart contracts explained
- Regulatory framework
- Applications in banking and FinTech
- KYC (know your customer)
- Trading platforms
- Raising capital
- Bitcoin and other virtual currencies
- Payments / Money Transmission Businesses
- Challenges to Implementation
The panel will review these and other highly relevant issues:
- What is a distributed ledger, and how does it change the way transactions and information are documented?
- What are some of the current and proposed uses of blockchain in banking and FinTech?
- What are the advantages of DLT and blockchain as to data security, efficiency and fraud protection?
- What legal issues arise with DLT and blockchain that are not present with more conventional formats for transacting business?
Michael C. Egan
Mr. Egan advises clients across various industries, including global online businesses, pharmaceutical companies,... | Read More
Mr. Egan advises clients across various industries, including global online businesses, pharmaceutical companies, healthcare providers, manufacturers, financial institutions, sourcing providers, retail companies, and other organizations regarding the legal aspects of global privacy and data protection, data security, information technology, and related restrictions on data collection and transfer. He focuses on these issues in the context of: global company operations and applications, including websites, mobile and e-commerce applications; data security breach and incident response; transactions; litigation; internal investigations; and government inquiries.Close
Alex C. Lakatos
Mr. Lakatos practices in complex international litigation, particularly on behalf of non-US financial institutions. He... | Read More
Mr. Lakatos practices in complex international litigation, particularly on behalf of non-US financial institutions. He also counsels financial institutions on banking and securities regulatory, enforcement, legislative, and strategic issues. He is experienced in contesting issues of particular concern to non-US financial institutions, such as financial privacy, data protection, multi-jurisdictional discovery, choice‑of-law conflicts, sanctions compliance and asset forfeiture.Close