Deposition Strategies in Divorce and Custody Cases: Taking and Defending Depositions of Parties, Lay Witnesses and Experts
Leveraging Deposition Testimony During Discovery, Settlement and Trial
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will prepare family law practitioners to take and defend depositions of parties, lay witnesses and expert witnesses in divorce and custody cases. The panelist will explain tactics for preparing witnesses, outline techniques for effective questioning, and offer strategies for leveraging deposition testimony during discovery, settlement and trial.
- Planning for depositions
- Determining who to depose
- Goals of deposition
- Seating arrangements, participant personalities and other “dynamics” considerations
- Witness preparation
- Document requests
- Taking and defending depositions
- Questioning witnesses
- Raising and responding to objections
- Using exhibits
- Using information obtained from social media
- Post-deposition strategies
- Using deposition information during discovery
- Using deposition information during settlement discussions and trial
The panelist will review these and other key issues:
- What are the most common challenges family law practitioners face when taking and defending depositions of parties, lay witnesses and experts?
- What deposition questioning techniques will maximize the information obtained from witnesses?
- What strategies are effective when raising and responding to objections during depositions?
- How can deposition testimony be most effectively used during discovery, settlement and trial?
Kirk C. Stange
Stange Law Firm
Mr. Stange has years of complex family law litigation experience. He is a frequent lecturer at CLE seminars, locally... | Read More
Mr. Stange has years of complex family law litigation experience. He is a frequent lecturer at CLE seminars, locally and nationally, for other attorneys and legal professionals on family law topics, including divorce and trusts. He is a published author on family law issues. He was been on the list of Super Lawyers for Family Law by Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers Magazine.Close