Class Action Settlements: Rule 68 Offers of Judgment and Other Strategic Tools
Leveraging Rule 68 and Structuring Class Settlements to Obtain Court Approval
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will examine how defendants in class litigation can leverage Rule 68 offers of judgment to dispose of cases early. The panel will also discuss best practices to obtain court approval of class settlements, including recent court treatment of attorneys' fees, cy pres settlements and incentive awards.
Leveraging Rule 68 offers of judgment in class litigation post Genesis Healthcare
- Brief overview of Genesis Healthcare
- Implications for class litigation
Structuring settlements to obtain court approval
- Fair, reasonable and adequate requirement
- Notice requirements and use of alternative media
- Conditional incentive awards
- Cy pres awards
- Attorneys’ fees
- Defending a settlement and maximizing its advantages
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What strategic advantages does a Rule 68 offer of judgment present for defendants in class litigation?
- What is the anticipated impact of the Supreme Court’s Genesis Healthcare ruling on resolving class claims?
- How are courts currently dealing with cy pres awards, attorneys' fees and conditional incentive awards in proposed class settlements?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
George J. Tzanetopoulos
Mr. Tzanetopoulos is a widely experienced trial and appellate litigator, whose practice focuses on commercial... | Read More
Mr. Tzanetopoulos is a widely experienced trial and appellate litigator, whose practice focuses on commercial litigation and tort defense. He holds an AV Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating and has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America. Mr. Tzanetopoulos represents businesses and individuals in administrative hearings, arbitrations, trials and appellate proceedings throughout the country.Close
Christina Guerola Sarchio
Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe
Ms. Sarchio concentrates her practice on commercial litigation, antitrust and white collar criminal defense matters.... | Read More
Ms. Sarchio concentrates her practice on commercial litigation, antitrust and white collar criminal defense matters. She has successfully tried as lead counsel more than a dozen cases in federal and state courts and has represented Fortune 500 and other clients in both criminal and civil litigation, including class actions. Ms. Sarchio has received national recognition for both her legal skills and business acumen.Close