Assignment of Benefits in Insurance Claims: Recent Trends, Court Decisions, and Practical Guidance
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide insurance practitioners with an enhanced understanding of insurance claims brought under an assignment of benefits (AOB). The panel will discuss the current state of the law, including state-specific reform efforts and trends, how assignments of benefits affect the adjustment of a loss, negotiating the loss settlement, competing interests in the policy proceeds, investigating and countering contractor misrepresentations, and related appraisal and litigation issues.
- Assignment of benefits overview
- The current state of the law
- State reform efforts and trends
- Policyholder perspectives
- Insurer perspectives
- Best practices and case studies
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the essential elements of an AOB contract and who benefits from it?
- What are "red flags" for potential fraud involved with the assignment of claim presentations?
- What are the best strategies to help navigate a policyholder's claim through an AOB situation?
- What is the current state of the law and state-specific reform efforts?
- What are the critical AOB-related appraisal and litigation issues?
Mr. Friedman provides corporate insurance counseling to companies in Florida, the Caribbean, New York, and other... | Read More
Mr. Friedman provides corporate insurance counseling to companies in Florida, the Caribbean, New York, and other U.S. and foreign jurisdictions. He also advised the State of Florida on insurance policy issues. He writes extensively about insurance coverage for many publications, including National Underwriter, Business Insurance, Risk & Insurance, South Florida Business Journal, and Harvard Law Record.Close
C. Scott Rybny
Chair Insurance Coverage & Extra-Contractual Litigation Group
Morgan & Akins
Mr. Rybny represents insurers in all phases of first and third party insurance disputes, including pre-litigation... | Read More
Mr. Rybny represents insurers in all phases of first and third party insurance disputes, including pre-litigation activities, special investigations, declaratory relief actions, and lawsuits alleging bad faith. His experience encompasses CGL, farm, condominium, fiduciary liability, property, business interruption, commercial crimes and credit risk insurance. Over the years, Mr. Rybny has been asked to speak on a variety of emerging insurance issues. Scott has presented at PAMIC, IASIU, PACIA, NBI, PDI and PLRB.Close