W-8 and W-9 Series Forms for Individual Taxpayers and Foreign Withholding Rules
Claiming Treaty Exemptions From Withholding on Effectively Connected Income, Foreign Intermediaries, Royalties
A live 110-minute CPE webinar with interactive Q&A
This webinar will provide tax advisers with a detailed and practical guide to Form W-8 series reporting for withholding on income associated with foreign entities or accounts for individual taxpayers. The panel will describe the most recent 2017 changes to Form W-8BEN and will offer useful tips to help complete the form, including the treaty position references and issuing Form W-8 from the payee's perspectives.
- U.S. withholding-related information forms individuals
- Form W-8BEN (certificate of foreign status of beneficial owner)
- Form W-9 (request for taxpayer identification number and certification)
- Form W-8ECI (effectively connected with U.S. trade or business)
- Form W-8EXP (foreign government or organization)
- Form W-8IMY (foreign intermediary, flow-through entity, or certain U.S. branches)
- Required information on forms
- When a payor may have to withhold on certain payments
- Claiming tax treaty withholding exemptions
- Compliance challenges with Forms W-9 and W-8BEN series
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Implications of the new requirement for a foreign tax identifying number
- Circumstances that require payor companies to obtain a form from payees or to withhold because they haven't received a valid form
- Tactics for performing a line-by-line review to ensure a form is accurate and complete
- When an equivalent form is acceptable--and forms that are equivalent
- Automatic exchange of information (AEoI) and W8 series/W9
Margaret (Peggy) Nowak, EA, MBA, MST
Ms. Nowak has been practicing public accounting for over 20 years. She has extensive Big 4 expertise in U.S.... | Read More
Ms. Nowak has been practicing public accounting for over 20 years. She has extensive Big 4 expertise in U.S. international tax planning and compliance for both inbound and outbound operations of multinational companies; and providing support to companies in managing their global workforce challenges. Ms. Nowak has strong leadership experience and has managed large multinational engagements, where her responsibilities included managing large teams of tax practitioners, reviewing complex returns and providing consulting assistance. Additionally, she manages a diversified client base focusing on clients in the manufacturing and distribution, real estate, technology, and service industries. Ms. Nowak is a regular speaker on international and technical tax issues.Close
to be announced.
Buy Live Webinar
CPE credit processing is available for an additional fee of $39. CPE processing must be ordered prior to the event.
See NASBA details.
Live Webinar & CPE Processing
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $150
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$244 + $19.45 S&H