Valuation Challenges With $10 Million-and-Under Businesses
Avoiding Mistakes With Built-In Gains and Taxes, Misuse of Market Data and Other Small Business Complexities
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This teleconference will explore the challenges that frequently arise for advisors in providing a valuation of a smaller business ($10 million and under in revenues). The panel will address common traps such as valuation methodology, built-in gains and taxes, proper adjustment to accounting records, and considering current market conditions.
Reasons for valuation
- Sale of a business
- Estate planning
- Succession planning
- Choosing the wrong type of business value
- Using the wrong valuation multiples
- Using an incorrect valuation method
- Improper adjustment to accounting records
- Assuming that every established business has positive business goodwill
- Leaving out key assets and liabilities from business valuation
- Failing to assess your company-specific risk.
- Remedies to mistakes
The panel will offer perspectives on issues such as:
- Correctly applying built-in gains and taxes.
- Avoiding misapplication of market data when finding comparables.
- Making accurate adjustments to earnings or normalization.
- Assessing company-specific risk.
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
David Coffman, CPA
President & CEO
N.J. Business Valuations
He is a CPA, accredited and certified in Business Valuation, who has valued hundreds of small businesses since... | Read More
He is a CPA, accredited and certified in Business Valuation, who has valued hundreds of small businesses since 1997. With more than 35 years of small business experience, his practice specializes in valuing small, owner-operated businesses with annual sales of less than $5 million.Close
Troy C. Patton, CPA/ABV
Patton & Associates
He provides expert witness testimony on business valuation issues, company purchases, company sales and divorces. He... | Read More
He provides expert witness testimony on business valuation issues, company purchases, company sales and divorces. He was named the top CPA in public practice by the Indiana CPA Society in 2005. He has been a managing partner in public accounting since 1996.Close