Utility-Related Injuries and Fatalities: Navigating Complex Regulations and Unique Rules of Liability
Public vs. Investor-Owned Entities; Burdens of Proof; Defenses; Discovery; Insurance, Co-defendants, and Indemnity
A live 90-minute CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE course will guide counsel through pursuing or defending serious and catastrophic personal injury and property damage claims involving utilities. The program will explore commonly encountered fact patterns and allegations; special pleading, notice, service requirements; co-defendants and indemnity; problems in discovery; limits on damages; and more.
- Types of utilities
- Types of incidents and injuries
- Theories of liability
- Co-defendants and indemnity
- Problems in discovery
- Limits on damages
- Special issues and defenses
- Multi-employer worksites
- Employee misconduct
- Affirmative defenses
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Do utilities enjoy special defenses or immunities, and how can defense counsel use them effectively?
- What special discovery problems must be overcome by the plaintiff?
- Do contributory negligence defenses apply?
- What are the standards for maintenance and repair for different types of utilities?
- How has the PG&E guilty plea in California impacted how utilities defend themselves?
Jeremiah A. Byrne
Frost Brown Todd
Mr. Byrne is a trial lawyer who concentrates his practice in tort and commercial litigation. With first chair trial... | Read More
Mr. Byrne is a trial lawyer who concentrates his practice in tort and commercial litigation. With first chair trial experience in multiple state and federal jurisdictions, He leads litigation teams to successfully defend catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, and business claims. Mr. Byrne represents national restaurant chains, gas and electric utility companies, product manufacturers, motor carriers, insurers, and other local, regional, and national companies.Close
David L. Kwass
Saltz Mongeluzzi Bendesky
After nearly seven years of doing insurance defense work for corporate clients at one of the big Philadelphia law... | Read More
After nearly seven years of doing insurance defense work for corporate clients at one of the big Philadelphia law firms, Mr. Kwass joined Saltz Mongeluzzi to become a plaintiffs’ personal injury lawyer.Close