Using Delaware Statutory Trusts in Real Estate Investments: Opportunities and Legal Risks
Structuring and Financing the DST, Leveraging Favorable Tax Treatment
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide real estate and tax finance counsel with a review the advantages and risks of Delaware Statutory Trusts (DSTs) as a structure for real estate investments. The panel will offer approaches for structuring and financing the DST as well as discuss the key tax issues involved.
- Trends in the use of DSTs for real estate investments
- Structuring the DST
- Assets for DST programs
- Financing of DST investments
- DST governance
- Workouts of DST programs
- Non-traditional uses for DSTs—REITs/funds vs. direct investment
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the trends in using DSTs as real estate investment vehicles?
- What opportunities exist for using DSTs and what are some of the legal pitfalls?
- What types of investment properties are DSTs well-suited for as an investment structure?
- What challenges do DSTs present for lenders and how should these problems be addressed?
Edward J. Hannon
Quarles and Brady
Mr. Hannon regularly works with institutional investors, high-net-worth individuals, and real estate companies in... | Read More
Mr. Hannon regularly works with institutional investors, high-net-worth individuals, and real estate companies in developing and implementing tax-oriented structures in real estate transactions. He also provides tax and structural advice in connection with various transactions involving the acquisition and disposition of U.S- based businesses.Close
Steven R. Meier
Mr. Meier's diverse tax practice involves all aspects of federal taxation. He regularly advises clients on the... | Read More
Mr. Meier's diverse tax practice involves all aspects of federal taxation. He regularly advises clients on the design, implementation, disposition and workout of real estate investment programs, including real estate investment funds and complex like-kind exchange programs. He acts as lead tax counsel in domestic and cross-border transactions, and advises early-stage businesses on tax, equity compensation and related matters.Close