UK Anti-Bribery Act: Meeting the Tough New Requirements
Minimizing Corruption Risks Under Both the FCPA and UK Law
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will prepare counsel to companies doing business in the United Kingdom to meet the demands of the new Anti-Bribery Act. The panel will outline effective compliance programs to minimize anti-corruption risks under both the new UK law and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- UK Anti-Bribery law and its requirements
- Who is covered and who is not
- New offenses under the law
- Permissible and impermissible payments
- Books and records requirements
- “Adequate procedures” for affirmative defense
- Comparison with FCPA
- Who is covered
- Reach of the law
- Conduct covered
- Best practices for anti-corruption compliance
- Elements of effective compliance program
- Mitigating factors
- Due diligence when working with third parties
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- Who is covered under the UK Anti-Bribery Act? How does the Act differ from the FCPA?
- What is the extraterritorial reach of the UK Anti-Bribery Act?
- What types of procedures are adequate to serve as a defense to liability?
- What steps can companies take to minimize the corruption risks under the UK Anti-Bribery Act and the FCPA?
Peters & Peters
He has been engaged in all aspects of litigation involving fraud and regulatory issues for more than 40 years and... | Read More
He has been engaged in all aspects of litigation involving fraud and regulatory issues for more than 40 years and serves as joint head of the firm's Fraud and Regulatory group. He has made a particular speciality of corruption, civil & criminal fraud and anti-money laundering law, domestic and international.Close
Steptoe & Johnson
He conducts internal investigations, audits, and risk assessments for clients in the context of regulatory compliance,... | Read More
He conducts internal investigations, audits, and risk assessments for clients in the context of regulatory compliance, including in respect of international and local anti-corruption and money laundering legislation. He has extensive FCPA investigation experience. He is a member of the firm's International Dispute Resolution Group.Close
O'Melveny & Myers
Ms. Lichtenbaum's practice principally relates to regulations governing international business transactions and... | Read More
Ms. Lichtenbaum's practice principally relates to regulations governing international business transactions and trade. She handles matters related to U.S. economic sanctions, export controls, antiboycott, and FCPA. Ms. Lichtenbaum also assists clients to develop corporate compliance programs, conducts internal investigations relating to potential violations and represents clients in connection with enforcement proceedings.Close