UDRP, URS, ACPA, and Beyond: Domain Name Enforcement, Brand Protection Strategies, Recent Decisions
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide counsel on the relative advantages and disadvantages of the Uniform Domain Name Resolution Policy (UDRP), the Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) system, and the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA). The panel will examine the considerations in determining which action should be pursued under different scenarios when challenging infringing domain names and offer strategies to navigate the options.
- UDRP vs. URS vs. ACPA
- Pros and cons of using them
- When it makes sense to use each
- Recent court decisions/proceedings
- Strategies for navigating the dispute resolution mechanisms and potential court action
The panel will review these and other crucial issues:
- How has the domain name space evolved since the launch of the gTLD program? How do these changes impact overall enforcement concerns at the present time?
- What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of the URS? The UDRP? The ACPA?
- What factors should counsel consider when determining how to address an infringing domain name?
- What strategies should counsel employ to successfully navigate the UDRP, URS, ACPA, and other means of achieving a satisfactory resolution of a domain name dispute?
Jonathan S. Jennings
Pattishall McAuliffe Newbury Hilliard & Geraldson
Mr. Jennings protects brands, copyrighted works and domain names throughout the world. As part of his practice, he... | Read More
Mr. Jennings protects brands, copyrighted works and domain names throughout the world. As part of his practice, he represents plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of disputes involving trademark, copyright, trade secret, right of publicity, breach of contract, unfair competition and false advertising claims. Mr. Jennings teaches a course on right of publicity and privacy law at the John Marshall Law School.Close
Brian J. Winterfeldt
Winterfeldt IP Group
Mr. Winterfeldt advises clients on the creation of global trademark and branding strategies. He also develops programs... | Read More
Mr. Winterfeldt advises clients on the creation of global trademark and branding strategies. He also develops programs to register and enforce clients’ IP rights and protect against infringement of their trademarks and other branding elements in the U.S. and internationally, including domestic and international trademark counseling, clearance, prosecution and enforcement. In addition, Mr. Winterfeldt advises clients on trade dress, copyright, internet governance and domain name issues, including domain name disputes such as UDRP. He regularly counsels global leaders across a broad variety of industries. As a prominent voice in the IP arena, Mr. Winterfeldt has written numerous articles on trademark law and is a frequent speaker at industry events on topics such as trademark law, internet governance and social media. He is an active member of the INTA is currently serving a three-year term on INTA’s Board of Directors.Close