U.S. and Retaliatory Tariffs: Compliance and Mitigation
Reducing Tariff Liability When Importing and Exporting Goods
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide counsel on the evolving tariff landscape. The panel will discuss the tariffs currently in place and the challenges facing U.S. companies. The panel will discuss the impact of new tariffs on importers, exporters, and manufacturers and what they can do to avoid unanticipated costs as well as mitigation strategies and how some opportunities might be seized.
- Overview of Trade Actions Affecting U.S. Companies
- The EU
- Strategies for Mitigating Risk – While Maintaining Compliance
- Seeking exclusions and maximizing their chances of success
- Re-assessing entered value
- Examining country of origin determinations
- Impact of Retaliation on U.S. Exporters
- The EU
- Finding Opportunities in the Chaos
- Participating in FTA Negotiations
- Miscellaneous Tariff Bill
- Addressing Non-Tariff Barriers
The panel will review these and other relevant issues:
- What does the evolving tariff landscape mean for U.S. importers and exporters?
- What are some strategies to mitigate the impact of the duties?
- What are the next likely “hot spots” for trade conflict?
Eric C. Emerson
Steptoe & Johnson
Mr. Emerson, Chair of the firm’s International Trade and Investment Group, represents companies across various... | Read More
Mr. Emerson, Chair of the firm’s International Trade and Investment Group, represents companies across various industries on all aspects of antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings before the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. International Trade Commission and U.S. courts. He also assists clients with international trade policy issues involving market access and the negotiation and implementation of free trade agreements. A significant focus of Mr. Emerson’s practice involves assisting clients doing business in or with China. He spent five years managing the firm’s Beijing office, and through that experience, as well as his service as GC to AmCham China, Mr. Emerson developed a deep understanding of the issues affecting multinational companies with China activities. In addition, he is regularly sought out to assist with AD/CVD investigations involving China, customs entry procedures, and pre-merger review under Chinese antimonopoly law.Close