U.S. and EU GDPR Data Breach Notification Laws: Protecting Workplace Privacy and Data Security
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide employers and counsel in meeting the data protection requirements of U.S. data breach notification laws and the data breach notification provisions contained in the new EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The panel will discuss best practices for employers and counsel of employers to comply with U.S. and EU laws, understand potential penalties for failure to comply, and mitigate liability in the event of a data breach.
- Overview of data breach notification requirements under U.S. laws and EU’s GDPR
- Best practices for employers and counsel to comply with U.S. laws and EU’s GDPR
- Steps to take in avoiding and responding to a data breach
- Employer liability and risk exposures
The panel will review these and other crucial issues:
- What policies and procedures are critical for employers to minimize the risk of a workplace data breach?
- Under what circumstances will an employer face liability exposure for a data breach?
- What steps can an employer take to reduce the risk of a potential data breach?
- What are the legal requirements and best practices for an employer after a workplace security breach occurs?
Risa B. Boerner, CIPP/US
Partner and Chair, Data Security and Workplace Privacy Practice Group
Fisher & Phillips
Ms. Boerner is Chair of the firm’s Data Security and Workplace Privacy Practice Group. She is a Certified... | Read More
Ms. Boerner is Chair of the firm’s Data Security and Workplace Privacy Practice Group. She is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and has counseled clients on issues relating to state and federal data protection laws, responding to security breaches, surveillance of employees’ electronic communications, workplace investigations and searches, social media and electronic communication policies, and the protection of trade secrets and confidential information.Close
Danielle S. Urban, CIPP/E
Fisher & Phillips
Ms. Urban is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/E) and has a national practice representing a wide... | Read More
Ms. Urban is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/E) and has a national practice representing a wide range of employers in a global marketplace. Her practice involves representation of employers in wrongful termination, employment discrimination and harassment, Title VII, Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, False Claims Act and state whistleblower actions, international employment issues, covenants not to compete, breach of employment agreements, and other employment disputes before courts and administrative agencies.Close