Using Expert Witnesses in Bad Faith and Coverage Litigation: Evidentiary Rules, Expert Opinions and Objections to Testimony
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide counsel in insurance cases with a general overview of the evidentiary rules governing the admissibility of expert opinion testimony. The panel will discuss the use of expert testimony in coverage and bad faith suits, as well as the obstacles that a party may face in presenting expert testimony.
- Overview of evidentiary rules on expert opinion testimony
- Typical insurance experts (underwriters, claims handlers, brokers, regulators and attorneys)
- Opinions in coverage litigation (underwriting risks, duties under policy, ambiguity of policy language)
- Opinions in bad faith claims (standard of care in industry, reasonableness of claims adjuster’s conduct)
- Objections to witness testimony and avoiding pitfalls in presenting expert opinions
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What industry experts are best suited for bad faith claims and what are common challenges or objections to their testimony?
- What industry experts are best suited for insurance coverage claims and what are common challenges or objections to their testimony?
- Under what circumstances would attorneys play a role in presenting expert witness opinions?
Guy O. Kornblum
Kornblum Cochran Erickson & Harbison
Mr. Kornblum has specialized as a trial and appellate lawyer for 40 years. He has handled over 3,500... | Read More
Mr. Kornblum has specialized as a trial and appellate lawyer for 40 years. He has handled over 3,500 litigated matters to conclusion and has several million dollar plus cases to his credit. Mr. Kornblum’s practice focuses on representing plaintiffs, claimants, policyholders and victims of tortious and contractual wrongs in insurance bad faith, among other claims.Close
Todd S. Schenk
Mr. Schenk is highly experienced in providing insurance coverage counseling and litigation representation to insurance... | Read More
Mr. Schenk is highly experienced in providing insurance coverage counseling and litigation representation to insurance companies. He is particularly skilled in handling third-party claims involving advertising injury and product liability, and first-party claims under residential and commercial property policies. Many of his cases require the defense of common law and statutory bad faith claims, which Mr. Schenk litigates in venues around the country.Close