Trust, Estate, and Gift Taxation: Recent Developments, Allocation of GST Exemption, Preserving Asset Basis, and More
Recording of a 90-minute CLE/CPE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will provide estate planners guidance on recent developments in trust, estate, and gift taxation and their impact on estate planning strategies. The panel will discuss the generation-skipping transfer tax and allocation of GST exemption, trust division to preserve asset basis and other tax attributes, gifts or bequests of appreciated property, and other key issues.
- Introduction: recent trends in trust, estate, and gift taxation
- GST transfer tax and allocation of exemption
- Rev Proc 2022-32; portability election
- Trusts; preserving asset basis and other tax attributes
- Proposed regulations
- Exceptions to anti-clawback rules
- Administrative expenses, claims against an estate, interest expense
- Cryptocurrency and digital assets in estates
- Recent cases and other developments
The panel will explore these and other critical issues:
- Which estates are eligible for the extensions of time to elect portability under Rev Proc 2022-32?
- How can trust division or modifications be used to preserve asset basis?
- How accrued interest and penalties are calculated under the proposed regulations
- What transfers are considered de minimis and not subject to the exceptions to the anti-clawback regulations?
- How proposed regulations affect estate plans already in place
Cliff A. Capdevielle
Director, Trusts and Estates Tax Services
Mr. Capdevielle helps clients navigate the complex opportunities related to tax planning, business succession planning,... | Read More
Mr. Capdevielle helps clients navigate the complex opportunities related to tax planning, business succession planning, and estate planning, and seeks to maximize tax savings and reach their goals.Close
Mr. Hunt regularly represents individuals, families, beneficiaries, corporate and individual fiduciaries on all aspects... | Read More
Mr. Hunt regularly represents individuals, families, beneficiaries, corporate and individual fiduciaries on all aspects of complex estate and trust planning, administration, litigation, and related federal, state, and local estate, gift, and income tax issues. He frequently assists clients with preparing and filing complex federal and state gift, estate, and fiduciary income tax returns and trust reporting for nonresident individuals and foreign and domestic trusts. Mr. Hunt also obtains Private Letter Rulings from the IRS on a variety of gift tax, GST tax and income tax issues on behalf of clients. He has significant experience in representing trusts and estates and individual taxpayers in federal and state tax audits.Close