Trademark Registration: Overcoming Failure-to-Function Refusals, Meeting Use and Distinctiveness Requirements
A live 90-minute premium CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide IP counsel on avoiding or overcoming potential roadblocks to trademark registration for failure to function under the Lanham Act. The panel will discuss the use and distinctiveness requirements and how the USPTO and courts have treated the issue. The panel will also provide best practices for overcoming failure-to-function refusals.
- Failure to function
- Connection to distinctiveness
- USPTO and court treatment
- Best practice to avoid a failure-to-function refusal
- Overcoming a failure-to-function rejection
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the critical considerations for trademark counsel when responding to a refusal?
- What steps can counsel take to avoid having a trademark application rejected by the USPTO because it is does not function as a mark?
- What strategies should counsel implement to increase the likelihood of mark registration after a refusal?
Alexandra J. Roberts
UNH Franklin Pierce School of Law
Prof. Roberts teaches and writes in the areas of trademark and false advertising law, entertainment law, contracts, and... | Read More
Prof. Roberts teaches and writes in the areas of trademark and false advertising law, entertainment law, contracts, and law and literature. Her current scholarship focuses on trademark use and distinctiveness generally and how trademarks function on social media in particular. Prof. Roberts previously served as the Executive Director of the Franklin Pierce Center for Intellectual Property at UNH Law and as a Visiting Assistant Professor at Boston University School of Law. Prior to entering academia, she was an associate in the IP litigation group at Ropes & Gray, first in its New York and then in its Boston office. Prof. Roberts is co-chair of the Junior Intellectual Property Scholars Association (JIPSA) and an Affiliated Fellow of the Yale information Society project.Close
to be announced.
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 03/27/20)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $300 (through 03/27/20)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$394 + $19.45 S&H