Third-Party Financing of Class Actions: Recent Judicial Decisions, Ethical and Practical Considerations
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss the contemporary practice of third-party financing of class action lawsuits—both the nuts and bolts of how this is done and the full range of ethical issues it can be said to present.
- Overview/description of the basics and basic financial terms of third-party class action litigation funding
- Analysis of recent judicial decisions and legislation regarding disclosure during discovery of information relating to third-party class action litigation finance
- Confidentiality, competence, conflict of interest and fee-splitting issues in the context of third-party class action litigation finance
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- How does the mechanism of third-party class action funding work?
- What is the structure and pricing of these mechanisms?
- What disclosure obligations apply to third-party class action funding transactions?
- What are the ethical implications of third-party class action financing?
- How can ethics pitfalls be avoided in funded cases?
Peter R. Jarvis
Holland & Knight
Mr. Jarvis practices primarily in the area of attorney professional responsibility and risk management. He advises... | Read More
Mr. Jarvis practices primarily in the area of attorney professional responsibility and risk management. He advises lawyers, law firms, corporate legal departments and government legal departments about the law governing lawyers, including matters relating to conflicts of interest, duties of confidentiality, other legal or professional ethics issues, advice on the avoidance of civil or criminal liability, law firm breakups, and questions relating to law firm or legal department structure and operation. Mr. Jarvis also serves as an expert witness and is an avid lecturer for public and private/in-house CLE seminars.Close
Timothy D. Scrantom
Mr. Scrantom is an American lawyer and an English barrister. For over 30 years he has been a law practitioner, law... | Read More
Mr. Scrantom is an American lawyer and an English barrister. For over 30 years he has been a law practitioner, law professor, writer and entrepreneur in the international law and finance markets, specializing in the area of litigation finance. Considered a "thought leader" in the commercial claim investment sector, Mr. Scrantom conceived and launched Juridica Investments Limited, the first publicly-listed (London Stock Exchange AIM) commercial claim investment company investing in North America and the first to be listed on a western stock exchange. He was the president of its management company. After Juridica deployed its invested capital, Mr. Scrantom left to start other ventures in the litigation finance space. In 2012 he formed SDIA, an investment bank providing financial services and/or capital to law firms, asset managers and claimholders in the litigation finance space.Close