The Insurer's Duty to Settle: Bad Faith and Verdicts in Excess of Policy Limits
Navigating the Nuances of the Insurer's Duties and Risk of Bad Faith Claims
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will review the rights and obligations of the policyholder and the insurer regarding settlement, the insurer's liability for verdicts in excess of policy limits, actions insurers can take to reduce exposure to bad faith failure-to-settle claims, and options for policyholders if the insurer rejects a settlement demand.
- Scope of insurer's duty to defend and duty to settle
- Insurer's risk of claims for bad faith litigation
- Policyholder remedies when the insurer breaches its duty to settle
- Best practices for insurers to reduce exposure to bad faith litigation
- Options for policyholders when the insurer does not want to settle
- Bad faith failure-to-settle claims brought by third-parties
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What is the scope of an insurer's duty to defend and duty to settle?
- What are the critical factors for insurers when deciding whether to settle within the policy limits?
- What factors do courts typically consider in determining whether a particular settlement demand is reasonable?
- What steps can insurers take to reduce exposure to bad faith litigation?
- What options are available to policyholders who disagree with the insurer's decision not to settle within the policy limits?
Christian A. Cavallo
Mr. Cavallo is an insurance coverage litigator representing insurers in high-value cases in state and federal courts.... | Read More
Mr. Cavallo is an insurance coverage litigator representing insurers in high-value cases in state and federal courts. His practice involves drafting coverage opinions and memoranda analyzing his clients’ rights and obligations under complex insurance contracts and providing advice to claims personnel and assigned counsel concerning a wide variety of coverage issues.Close
Rachel E. Hudgins
Hunton Andrews Kurth
Ms. Hudgins represents clients in complex insurance coverage and bad faith litigation.| Read More
Ms. Hudgins represents clients in complex insurance coverage and bad faith litigation.Close
Lee S. Siegel
Hurwitz & Fine
Mr. Siegel joins Hurwitz & Fine, P.C. as a litigator in the Insurance Coverage Group. He brings 25 years of... | Read More
Mr. Siegel joins Hurwitz & Fine, P.C. as a litigator in the Insurance Coverage Group. He brings 25 years of insurance coverage, bad faith, class action, and defense litigation experience with him. Admitted in New York and Connecticut, Mr. Siegel represents carriers in complex coverage and bad faith matters across the country.Close