Tax Considerations in Structuring Private Equity Funds
Balancing the Competing Interests of Fund Investors When Structuring Investment Funds
Recording of a 110-minute CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This teleconference will provide guidance on how to structure private equity and other types of funds, taking into account various factors, such as type of investor, type of fund, and location of fund. The presentation will address fund manager issues, as well as fund investor issues.
- Tax objectives of taxable U.S. investors
- Tax objectives of non-taxable U.S. investors (pension plans, endowments, other tax-exempt investors and governmental entities)
- Tax objectives on non-U.S. investors
- Tax objectives of sovereign investors
- Tax objectives of fund managers
- Fund structuring issues and options
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the competing tax preferences of major private fund investors that practitioners must juggle when structuring investment funds?
- How can the use of blockers and feeder funds accommodate the needs of particular investors?
- What challenges face sovereign investors in retaining their status as Section 892 investors?
- How can the new 3.8% Medicare tax be minimized?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Christian M. McBurney
Mr. McBurney practice area is federal income taxation with particular emphasis on tax planning for private... | Read More
Mr. McBurney practice area is federal income taxation with particular emphasis on tax planning for private equity, partnership and corporate transactions. His private equity work includes structuring U.S. and non-U.S. funds and funds-of-funds, advising investors on tax-efficient investing structures, advising fund managers on their structures, and advising on FATCA, the 3.8% Medicare tax, publicly-traded partnership transfer, state withholding, and other investment fund issues.Close
White & Case
He represents private equity, real estate, venture capital and hedge fund sponsors in connection with tax aspects of... | Read More
He represents private equity, real estate, venture capital and hedge fund sponsors in connection with tax aspects of structuring investment funds. He advises U.S. and non-U.S. institutional investors, governmental investors, pension trusts and other tax-exempt organizations in structuring their investments in private investment funds, including venture capital, buyout, real estate and hedge funds.Close
Goulston & Storrs
Structuring of complex acquisitions and dispositions of domestic and international holdings, including public and... | Read More
Structuring of complex acquisitions and dispositions of domestic and international holdings, including public and private companies, partnerships and S corporations are just a few of the tax-related issues on which she advises clients. Ms. Norman also provides counsel on the tax aspects of domestic and international corporate restructurings, cross-border transactions, and policy and legislative changes to U.S. and non-U.S tax laws.Close