Substance Abuse and Child Custody: Alcohol, Drugs, and Emerging Cannabis Issues
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will bring family lawyers current on trends in the impact of substance use and abuse on child custody determinations. Even when a parent uses a legal substance (alcohol and now cannabis, in some jurisdictions), courts grapple with the legal implications. The best interest of the child is always paramount, and court decisions in this area vary based on the personal beliefs and attitudes of judges and other involved parties.
- Background of legality issues
- Traditional analysis
- Illegality and custody
- Interests of the child and legal substances
- Legalization and change
- Evolving legality: cannabis
- Jurisdictional conflicts
- Proof issues: expert witnesseses
The panel will review these and other constantly evolving questions:
- What are the traditional judicial approaches to abuse and addiction?
- How can substance abuse be used as a basis for child protective services investigations and neglect proceedings and how will that affect custody determinations in the future?
- How does a parent's use of legal substances impact custody determinations?
- What choice of law implications are there for parents in different jurisdictions with different legality constructs?
Policy Counsel, FDP
The Bronx Defenders
Before joining The Bronx Defenders, Ms. Prince was a Criminal Defense Attorney with the Office of the Public Defender... | Read More
Before joining The Bronx Defenders, Ms. Prince was a Criminal Defense Attorney with the Office of the Public Defender of the State of New Jersey in Passaic County. During law school, she represented individuals charged with misdemeanor offenses in Queens County Criminal Court as part of the Criminal Defense Clinic. Ms. Prince interned at the Georgia Capital Defender’s Office, the Legal Aid Society’s Prisoners’ Rights Project and Trafficking Victims’ Advocacy Project, and The Bronx Defenders.Close
John J. Schrot, Jr.
Mr. Schrot’s legal career has predominantly focused on family law and other complex civil litigation matters. He... | Read More
Mr. Schrot’s legal career has predominantly focused on family law and other complex civil litigation matters. He also has extensive experience in contract negotiations, commercial transactions/litigation, employment law, real estate, insurance, construction, securities, corporate law, arbitration, and other intricate personal and contractual relationships. For the past 40 years, Mr. Schrot has been helping business people and their spouses through complex divorces. He is known for handling high-stakes divorce, and for keeping clients’ cases private. Mr. Schrot helps families achieve amicable divorces while ensuring clients receive their fair share and/or protection of their children.Close