Structuring Special Needs Trusts as IRA Beneficiaries: Avoiding Tax Traps in Funding SNTs With Retirement Accounts
Note: CPE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide estate planners with an advanced guide to drafting and structuring supplemental and special needs trusts (SNTs). The panel will focus on considerations such as setting up trusts to serve as beneficiaries of retirement accounts and drafting language and traps to avoid structuring third-party SNTs and first-party SNTs.
- Evaluating SNT structures (first-party vs. third-party)
- Drafting practices for SNTs
- Funding the trust
- Special considerations when using retirement accounts to fund SNTs
- See-through provisions unique to SNTs
- Illustrations and sample language
The panel will review these and other critical issues:
- How to structure beneficiary designations
- Funding options and requirements of IRAs and other retirement accounts
- Avoiding the "five-year rule"
- Integrating ABLE accounts with SNTs
- Pre-trust strategies
- Impact of the Secure Act and the proposed regulations on inherited IRAs owned by SNTs
- Impact of pending legislation sometimes called "Secure Act 2.0"
Benjamin A. (Benji) Rubin, JD, LLM (Tax)
Mr. Rubin focuses his practice on providing legal advice for families of individuals with special needs, including... | Read More
Mr. Rubin focuses his practice on providing legal advice for families of individuals with special needs, including intellectual disabilities, developmental disabilities, physical disabilities, and/or mental illness. He counsels clients concerning estate and tax planning, insurance funding of special needs trusts and probate avoidance.Close