Structuring Real Estate JVs: Capital Contributions, Distributions, Allocations, Taxes, Governance, Exit Strategies
Negotiating Joint Venture Deals in Property Development to Minimize Financial and Legal Risks
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide real estate and finance counsel with a review of key legal and financial issues when forming a real estate joint venture for property development. The panel will outline strategies to minimize sponsor and capital partner risk and to minimize future disputes. The panel will offer approaches to address governance and control of the venture, capital contributions and capital calls, related party agreements, and exit strategies.
- Capital contributions and capital calls
- Distributions, allocations and other tax provisions
- Governance and control issues
- Allocating financial and legal liabilities
- Related party agreements
- Exit strategies
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the current legal trends regarding the establishment and operation of joint ventures?
- How should governance and control issues be determined?
- What are current issues relating to governance dispute resolution and buy-out terms?
- What risk allocation and risk shifting measures should be included in the joint venture operating agreement to protect the real estate owners and equity partners?
- What are the tax pitfalls with phantom income for the party contributing the property to an LLC and how should this issue be addressed up front?
Lloyd G. Kepple
Mr. Kepple represents financial institutions, corporations and institutional investors in connection with their... | Read More
Mr. Kepple represents financial institutions, corporations and institutional investors in connection with their national real estate equity investment and financing activities. He assists insurance companies, investment funds and banks in structuring and closing investment and financing transactions, including joint ventures and partnerships; acquisitions and sales of commercial real estate; mortgage lending and development; and corporate real estate sale and lease-backs.Close
Thomas G. Maira
Mr. Maira represents a large range of clients in all asset classes across the U.S., including private equity funds,... | Read More
Mr. Maira represents a large range of clients in all asset classes across the U.S., including private equity funds, lenders, real estate investors, owners and operators, investment banks, public and private companies, REITs, government agencies and entrepreneurs. He advises on real estate joint ventures, acquisitions, dispositions, real estate finance, and real estate development, workouts, leasing and asset management. He has deep industry experience, particularly in the area of cross-border transactions.Close
Jonathan McLester, CPA
Mr. McLester is the Partner-in-Charge of the firm’s Tax Practice as well as the Practice Area Leader of the Real... | Read More
Mr. McLester is the Partner-in-Charge of the firm’s Tax Practice as well as the Practice Area Leader of the Real Estate Practice and has over 19 years of public accounting experience. Among past and present clients are public and private companies of all sizes including: a major league professional football team; motorsports industry clients; nationally and internationally known real estate and hotel companies; local real estate investors and developers; and one of the most prominent private equity firms in the world.Close