Structuring Exclusive Contracts Between Hospitals and Physician Groups
Negotiating Exclusivity, Payor Contracting, and Other Key Provisions; Ensuring Stark Law, AKS, and Tax-Exemption Compliance
Note: CPE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide guidance to counsel involved in structuring exclusive contracts between hospitals and physicians or physician groups. The panelist will discuss the nuts and bolts of structuring the agreements, including restrictive covenants, payor contracting provisions, performance standards, and exclusivity. The panelist will also address strategies to overcome regulatory issues.
- Exclusive contracts with hospitals--advantages and disadvantages, and why they are increasing
- Stark Law, AKS, and tax-exemption considerations
- Nuts and bolts
- Basic provisions
- "Clean sweep," and potential reporting-related implications
- Hot button issues the parties need to work through and how to balance needs/expectations of hospital and physician group
- A process to get the deal done
- Dialogues that often happen during negotiations
The panelist will review these and other key issues:
- What are the significant stumbling blocks that can hinder the parties in negotiating an exclusive contract?
- What are the key considerations when determining whether to enter into an exclusive contract for the physician or physician group? For the hospital?
- What steps should counsel take to ensure compliance with Stark Law and AKS?
W. Kenneth Davis, Jr.
Katten Muchin Rosenman
Mr. Davis counsels clients in the formation of new businesses, joint ventures, management and other service... | Read More
Mr. Davis counsels clients in the formation of new businesses, joint ventures, management and other service relationships, networks and other relationships aimed at integrating and improving the efficacy of the healthcare process. His work involves a myriad of matters including initial structuring and business model development, analysis of regulatory and reimbursement issues, private equity, and mergers and acquisitions. He also regularly provides healthcare compliance counsel for clients.Close