Structuring Aircraft Acquisition Transactions: Purchase, Lease and Financing Alternatives for Aircraft Operators and their Counsel
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will examine the purchase, lease, and financing structures available for acquiring aircraft. The panel will examine specific structures involving purchase contracts, security agreements and leasing options. The panel will also discuss underlying concerns for buyers/lessees/borrowers and their counsel at each step of the acquisition process through the closing, including title transfer, registration, and major clauses in the deal documents where legal advice is needed by clients who are acquiring an aircraft for the first time or just adding to their fleets.
- Secured loan structure
- Operating or "true lease"
- Finance lease structures
- Advantages and Disadvantages of each structure for purchaser/borrower/lessee
- Clauses that the acquirer must "get right" in each structure
- Key steps to take at the FAA, International Registry, and foreign aviation authorities
- Insurance & Maintenance requirements to consider
- Considerations when acquiring aircraft from outside the U.S.
The panel will review these and other noteworthy issues:
- How does a secured loan, operating lease, and financing lease favor and disfavor the acquirer of an airplane?
- How should key clauses in deal documents be drafted when acquiring an aircraft?
- What legal due diligence should be conducted when purchasing or financing aircraft?
- What additional rules apply when acquiring an aircraft from a source outside of the U.S.?
Davis Graham & Stubbs
Mr. Givray has devoted his legal work to aviation: the acquisition, divestiture, and merger of aviation businesses; the... | Read More
Mr. Givray has devoted his legal work to aviation: the acquisition, divestiture, and merger of aviation businesses; the formation and deployment of aviation joint ventures; the leasing and financing of helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft; the development, certification, manufacture, sale, maintenance, repair, and overhaul of aviation products; aviation bankruptcy strategies (offensive and defensive); and aviation litigation, in the U.S. and abroad. He also serves as general counsel of The NORDAM Group LLC, headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma (2,000 stakeholders; facilities in the U.S., Mexico, Wales, and England; and locations in France and Singapore).Close
Toni Turner Budd
Davis Graham & Stubbs
Ms. Turner Budd joined the Intellectual Property, Aviation, and Finance & Acquisitions Groups at Davis Graham &... | Read More
Ms. Turner Budd joined the Intellectual Property, Aviation, and Finance & Acquisitions Groups at Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP. Prior to joining the firm, she practiced for three years with Jacobs Chase L.L.C., primarily in the areas of aviation, intellectual property, commercial and government transactions, cross-border initiatives, and antitrust and federal contracts compliance. Ms. Turner Budd also practiced for eight years with Stuart Biolchini Turner & Givray in Tulsa, Oklahoma, focusing on intellectual property transactions and litigation, government contracts formation and administration, licensing, asset sales, new product and service programs, and cross-border initiatives, primarily in the technology, business-to-business information, and commercial finance sectors.Close