Structuring Aircraft Acquisition Transactions: Purchase, Lease, and Financing Alternatives
A live 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE course will examine the purchase, lease, and financing structures available for acquiring aircraft. The panel will examine specific structures involving purchase contracts, security agreements, and leasing options. The panel will also discuss underlying concerns for buyers/lessees/borrowers and their counsel at each step of the acquisition process through the closing, including title transfer, registration, and significant clauses in the deal documents.
- Secured loan structure
- Operating or "true lease"
- Finance lease structures
- Advantages and disadvantages of each structure for purchaser/borrower/lessee
- Clauses that the acquirer must "get right" in each structure
- Key steps to take at the FAA, International Registry, and foreign aviation authorities
- Insurance and maintenance requirements to consider
- Considerations when acquiring aircraft from outside the U.S.
The panel will review these and other noteworthy issues:
- How do secured loans, operating leases, and financing leases favor and disfavor the acquirer of an airplane?
- How should critical clauses in deal documents be drafted when acquiring an aircraft?
- What legal due diligence should be conducted when purchasing or financing an aircraft?
- What additional rules apply when acquiring an aircraft from a source outside of the U.S.?
Davis Graham & Stubbs
Mr. Givray has devoted his legal work to aviation: the acquisition, divestiture, and merger of aviation businesses; the... | Read More
Mr. Givray has devoted his legal work to aviation: the acquisition, divestiture, and merger of aviation businesses; the formation and deployment of aviation joint ventures; the leasing and financing of helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft; the development, certification, manufacture, sale, maintenance, repair, and overhaul of aviation products; aviation bankruptcy strategies (offensive and defensive); and aviation litigation, in the U.S. and abroad. He also serves as general counsel of The NORDAM Group LLC, headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma (2,000 stakeholders; facilities in the U.S., Mexico, Wales, and England; and locations in France and Singapore).Close
Davis Graham & Stubbs
Ms. Maguire’s practice focuses on the aviation industry, where she counsels clients in complex commercial... | Read More
Ms. Maguire’s practice focuses on the aviation industry, where she counsels clients in complex commercial transactions and general corporate matters.Close