Structuring 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges After IRS Victory in North Central Leasing
Preserving Tax-Deferral Treatment for Transactions Involving Related Parties and Qualified Intermediaries
Recording of a 90-minute CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will provide tax counsel, advisors and real estate counsel with 2015 developments concerning IRC Section 1031, examine the requirements for like-kind property exchanges to receive tax deferrals, and provide best practices in structuring transactions to avoid adverse tax consequences down the road.
- Framework of 1031 exchanges
- Eligible assets
- Timing requirements and use of qualified intermediary
- “Boot,” debt, basis and gain calculations
- Reverse exchanges
- Forward exchanges
- Entities, land trusts and DSSTs
- Section 1031(f) related-party rules after North Central Rental and Leasing
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What types of exchanged properties are more likely to be considered sufficiently “like-kind” and receive tax deferral?
- What is the role, and restrictions, of the qualified intermediary?
- How to avoid the 1031(f) restrictions against related-party exchanges?
- What are the requirements of Sec. 1031’s “holding period requirement”?
Joseph C. Mandarino
Cohen Pollock Merlin & Small
Mr. Mandarino's practice focuses on corporate, tax and finance law. He is involved with a wide variety of... | Read More
Mr. Mandarino's practice focuses on corporate, tax and finance law. He is involved with a wide variety of businesses and transactions, including experience with like-kind exchanges and structuring M&A transactions.Close
Capell Barnett Matalon & Schoenfeld
Mr. Matos' practice concentrates on corporate, taxation and real estate law, including stock... | Read More
Mr. Matos' practice concentrates on corporate, taxation and real estate law, including stock purchases/sales, asset purchases/sales, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and entity formation, with a particular focus on tax structuring and strategic business planning.Close
Strategic 1031 Exchange Advisors
Mr. Novak's firm provides real estate and tax consulting services for clients structuring complex real estate... | Read More
Mr. Novak's firm provides real estate and tax consulting services for clients structuring complex real estate transactions and asset dispositions. He specializes in the facilitation of tax-deferred like-kind exchanges under IRC Section 1031, and has assisted clients in structuring reverse exchanges, construction exchanges, non-safe harbor exchanges, multi-asset business sales, and international exchanges.Close