Solar Securitization: Leveraging Alternative Financing Without Jeopardizing Existing Investor Tax Breaks
Note: CPE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will discuss solar securitization, examining its role in solar financing and challenges to anticipate. The panel will guide counsel on leveraging solar securitization as an alternative financing tool while protecting investor tax benefits.
- Role of securitization in financing solar transactions
- Basic terms
- Key requirements
- Basic securitizations without tax equity
- Combining securitizations with tax equity
- Inverted leases
- Flip partnerships
- Asset and structure risks
- Tax insurance
- The future of solar securitizations
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What role is securitization playing in financing solar lease models?
- What are some of the structural challenges in securitizing solar assets?
- What transaction structures are emerging in the securitization space to address non-residential solar assets?
- How are strategic alliances between sponsors, loan originators and securitization market players changing the market?
- What are the risks associated with solar securitization? How are they being mitigated? What role can tax insurance play?
Foley & Lardner
Mr. Lowder is a partner and member of the firm’s Finance Practice. Although his practice extends to all aspects... | Read More
Mr. Lowder is a partner and member of the firm’s Finance Practice. Although his practice extends to all aspects of business law, he currently focuses his practice on energy, project finance, project development, and related tax and public financing. He is also a member of the firm's Energy Industry Team. He has experience with numerous project technologies including commercial, utility-scale, and residential-scale solar photovoltaic systems; onshore and offshore wind development; biomass and biofuel projects; and other energy and alternative energy technologies.Close
Marc S. Reisler
Sive Paget & Riesel
Mr. Reisler is a Principal at Sive, Paget & Riesel P.C. He regularly works on solar, storage, wind, geothermal and... | Read More
Mr. Reisler is a Principal at Sive, Paget & Riesel P.C. He regularly works on solar, storage, wind, geothermal and renewable natural gas project financings, representing lenders and borrowers. Mr. Reisler also works on securitizations of residential solar and rural small wind assets. He frequently represents lenders providing “back leverage” credit facilities to tax-equity financed projects. Mr. Reisler's experience includes representing lenders in recapitalizations of private equity sponsored renewable projects. He has also represented investors in preferred equity financings of LEED certified real estate projects. Mr. Reisler has considerable experience helping lenders navigate the complexity of renewable project finance borrowers in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, advising in negotiations with the Chapter 11 trustee, tax-equity investors, cash-equity investors, O&M service providers and other creditors.Close