Service Line Co-Management: The Ultimate Sustainable PSA? Creating Legal, Effective, and Lasting Alignment
A live 90-minute CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will assist hospital and physician group counsel to optimize service line co-management arrangements with an appreciation for applicable law and best practices.
- Key legal issues involved in CMAs
- Stark Law
- Anti-kickback statute
- Tax-exempt laws/regs
- Valuation issues
- Separating management services from the standard of care
- Identifying relevant data (and identifying what should be excluded)
- Identifying relevant data in light of operational disruptions or other material changes in the service line
- Identifying relevant data in light of COVID-19
- Appraising development initiatives, and how valuation firms differ in this regard
- Material considerations
- Identifying and organizing the physicians necessary for effective management and who will do the work if the "chosen few" do not?
- Dealing with historical directorships
- Are employed physicians eligible?
- Scope of physician decision-making
- Gainsharing/cost containment
- Identifying meaningful initiatives
- Structuring development initiatives
- Can a metric change in the middle of a year?
- Determining annual initiatives in a multi-year arrangement
- Data-related issues
- Harmonizing payment methodology with performance standards
- Establishing that a CMA meets a definition of "commercial reasonableness"
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the benefits of CMAs for hospitals and physician groups?
- What are best practices for structuring CMAs to achieve the parties' objectives?
- What are some "lessons learned" that predict unavoidable practical issues and best practice solutions?
The Erickson Law Firm
Mr. Erickson represents physicians as employees, health systems as employers, physicians as partners, businesses as... | Read More
Mr. Erickson represents physicians as employees, health systems as employers, physicians as partners, businesses as buyers, businesses as seller, etc., giving him broad perspective. He advises clients across the country regarding the application of federal health care laws and provides clients business strategies related to health care transactions. He knows the elements of arrangements that work and how to reach agreement without diversions or delay.Close
Jamie McIntyre, JD
Ms. McIntyre specializes in fair market value analyses for compensation arrangements, which may have Stark and/or... | Read More
Ms. McIntyre specializes in fair market value analyses for compensation arrangements, which may have Stark and/or Anti-Kickback implications. Her primary focus involves the valuation of physician co-management and management arrangements, Hospital Quality and Efficiency Programs (HQEPs), on-call arrangements, and medical directorships. Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, she served at a 425-bed tertiary acute care hospital and was responsible for the development and lifecycle of hospital contracting, including physician and referral-source arrangements, medical directorships, vendor agreements, research agreements, and school affiliations.Close
Early Discount (through 05/21/21)
Cannot Attend June 16?
Early Discount (through 05/21/21)
You may pre-order a recording to listen at your convenience. Recordings are available 48 hours after the webinar. Strafford will process CLE credit for one person on each recording. All formats include program handouts.