Section 965 Foreign Deemed Repatriation Transition Tax: Final Regulations
Identifying Cash Positions, Treatment of Consolidated Entities, Loss Treatments, Correcting Underpayments, Anti-Avoidance Rules
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This webinar will provide corporate tax advisers with a detailed and practical guide to the repatriation provisions of the Section 965 transition tax in the wake of the most recent IRS final regulatory guidance. The panel will discuss E&P and basis adjustments, foreign tax credit calculations, and special rules governing affiliated groups and consolidated returns.
- Shareholders subject to new foreign provisions
- Definition of "specified foreign corporations"
- Identifying and calculating accumulated E&P subject to deemed repatriation transition tax
- Netting provisions
- Calculating tax
- Section 965(h) elections
- IRS guidance finalized in January 2019 and adjustments to prior proposed regulations
- Consolidated return provisions
- Exemptions to cash positions
- Anti-avoidance rule application
- Fiscal year taxpayers with initial payments due in 2019
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Determining the applicability of Section 965 to specific U.S. shareholders
- Identifying what is cash vs. non-cash for purposes of foreign-source income and applicable tax rates
- The use of NOLs and determining taxable foreign-source income
- New guidance governing consolidated returns and loss allocations
- Application of anti-avoidance rules to E&P reducing transactions
Andre Benayoun, J.D.
Partner - Tax & Business Services
Mr. Benayoun is a Partner who specializes in consulting around international taxation for inbound and outbound... | Read More
Mr. Benayoun is a Partner who specializes in consulting around international taxation for inbound and outbound multinational corporations, S corporations, partnerships, and individuals and families.Close
Patrick J. McCormick, J.D., LL.M.
Mr. McCormick specializes in the areas of international taxation, tax compliance, and offshore reporting... | Read More
Mr. McCormick specializes in the areas of international taxation, tax compliance, and offshore reporting obligations. He published national articles and given numerous national and local presentations on assorted areas of tax and estate planning law, including international tax and offshore compliance issues. His latest article on PFICs is titled Tax Reporting Implications of Foreign Mutual Funds. He is licensed to practice in the States of New Jersey, Florida, and Georgia, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.Close