Section 475(f) Mark-to-Market Elections: Meeting Trader Tax Status, Calculating Gains and Losses, and Revocations
Note: CLE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This webinar will explain the benefits and caveats of making a Section 475(f) mark-to-market (MTM) election for practitioners working with traders. Our investment expert will discuss trader tax status (TTS), making and revoking the election, and why now might be the right time for these elections.
- Section 475(f) mark-to-market elections
- Trader tax status
- Employee benefit plans
- Deducting business expenses
- Making the election
- NOL carrybacks
- Entity considerations
- Applying for 9100 relief
- Revoking a 475(f) election
The panelist will review these and other critical issues:
- When is the MTM election due?
- What are the tax benefits of the 475(f) election in addition to current ordinary loss deductions?
- When and how taxpayers could benefit by establishing a separate entity for trading activity?
- How difficult is it to revoke an MTM election, and what are the ramifications?
- What are the differences between TTS and an MTM election?
Darren L. Neuschwander, CPA
Green Neuschwander & Manning
Mr. Neuschwander is head of the production side of our CPA firm’s tax compliance and accounting practice. He is... | Read More
Mr. Neuschwander is head of the production side of our CPA firm’s tax compliance and accounting practice. He is in charge of the firm’s best practices, quality controls and reviews. Mr. Neuschwander focuses on practice management, compliance, professionals, training, networks, standards and more. He co-hosts several of the firm’s trader tax webinars and various speaking engagements.Close