Sect. 704(c): Contributions to Partnerships and LLCs
Navigating Unsettled Issues, Complex Rules, and Allocation Method Elections
A live 110-minute CPE webinar with interactive Q&A
This webinar will provide tax advisers with a thorough and practical guide to navigating the complex requirements of Section 704(c). The panel will go in depth to identify the contributed property subject to Section 704(c) and will discuss available elections to allocate gain and loss.
- Critical aspects of Section 704(c)
- Sharing of income, gain, loss, or deduction for property contributed must take account of variations between basis and fair market value at contribution
- The Treasury and IRS's broad authority to determine proper application of allocations
- Navigating complex questions about built-in gain or loss property contributed to a partnership
- Book vs. tax basis
- The "Ceiling Rule"
- Traditional, curative, and remedial allocation methods
- Mixing bowl rules
- Anti-abuse rules
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Reviewing partnership agreements and other operating documents based on Section 704(c) considerations
- Making choices among the allocation method elections
- Whether and when revaluations are appropriate or required
Ryan J. Dobens
Mr. Dobens practices in the Mergers & Acquisitions Group in the PwC Washington National Tax Services office,... | Read More
Mr. Dobens practices in the Mergers & Acquisitions Group in the PwC Washington National Tax Services office, specializing in partnership taxation. He has broad experience advising multinational businesses, the asset management industry, and the real estate industry on the flexibility of partnership taxation.Close
Ms. Stoner specializes in partnership taxation. She has significant experience assisting clients with complex... | Read More
Ms. Stoner specializes in partnership taxation. She has significant experience assisting clients with complex partnership transactions, from partnership formations to operational issues and unwind transactions. Ms. Stoner’s background includes advising on the federal tax implications of partnership debt restructuring transactions, property contributions and distributions, Section 704(b) revaluations in capital accounts, partner allocations of taxable income including Section 704(c) allocations, application of the disguised sale rules, liability allocations, basis adjustments and the treatment of contractual alliances. She is a former attorney-advisor at the IRS Office of Chief Counsel, Passthroughs & Special Industries division where she drafted the Section 108(e)(8) partnership debt for equity regulations and other published guidance affecting partnerships, S corporations and trusts.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 01/31/20)
CPE credit processing is available for an additional fee of $39. CPE processing must be ordered prior to the event.
See NASBA details.
Live Webinar & CPE Processing
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $200 (through 01/31/20)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$194 + $19.45 S&H