Sales Tax Exemptions and Resale Certificates: Compliance Issues, State-by-State Requirements and Updates
Note: CLE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This course will provide tax professionals and advisers an in-depth analysis of the requirements and compliance issues of state sales tax exemptions and resale certificates. The panel will discuss the criteria for securing sales tax exemptions and resale certificates, recent state regulations hampering compliance protocols for multistate businesses, and retailer documentation, as well as offer best practices to ensure compliance.
- Requirements and challenges of sales tax exemptions
- Recent state sales tax exemption updates
- Key issues for resale certificates
- Retailer documentation
The panel will discuss these and other key issues:
- What are the requirements and key issues in obtaining sales tax exemptions?
- What are the challenges in securing resale certificates and methods to ensure compliance?
- How do states differ in their treatment of sales made to exempt organizations and government agencies?
- How do sellers know what exemptions apply to a transaction?
- What is meant by a "properly completed" certificate?
- How can a business minimize exposure on audits?
Stacey L. Roberts, CPA
State and Local Tax Director
Ms. Roberts has been making SALT less taxing for over a 1,000 businesses over the last 25 years. As a director of the... | Read More
Ms. Roberts has been making SALT less taxing for over a 1,000 businesses over the last 25 years. As a director of the SALTovation team at TaxOps, she is at the table-and in the weeds-helping guide dynamic businesses through compliance and strategic planning that minimizes risk and strengthens tax positions. Ms. Roberts entered the accounting field with Andersen Worldwide/Andersen LLP, where she began to hone her state and local tax experience. She added stints at KPMG and Deloitte before moving in-house with Ball Corporation as their manager of State and Local Tax Administration. An interlude with a regional tax firm followed before Ms. Roberts joined TaxOps. She is a frequent speaker and author on SALT issues for industry and professional organizations including the Denver Tax Institute, Product PowerUp, NowCFO and more.Close
Judith B. Vorndran, JD, CPA, MSBA
Ms. Vorndran helps clients and tax professionals navigate the morass of state and local tax issues with the goal of... | Read More
Ms. Vorndran helps clients and tax professionals navigate the morass of state and local tax issues with the goal of making it less “taxing!” She is a nationally recognized thought leader and award-winning instructor with a steady focus on finding ways to simplify complex state and local tax issues and resolve areas of state tax controversy.Close