Sales and Use Tax Audits: Effective Records Management Under Conflicting State Demands
Best Practices For Retaining, Administering and Producing Required Records
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This seminar will provide corporate sales and use tax professionals with best practices for efficient administration of key records before an audit and producing them during audit. The panel will address effective procedures and controls to meet conflicting state requirements for documentation submission.
- Best practices for document retention, management and production systems
- Options for electronic software packages
- Training staff on document policies
- Classifying documents
- Making sure documents are retained through statute of limitations period
- Responding to state audit documentation demands
- Electronic vs. paper records
- Retrieving records in the format required by each state
- Information-sharing considerations among states and jurisdictions
- Legal issues arising from document production
- Responding to subpoenas from state revenue departments
- Responding to requests from contractors employed by government
- Legal defense issues for tax directors to consider
- Confidentiality issues
- Exemption certificate management
- Managing certificates for different types of exempt purchases
- Retaining invoices in conjunction with exemption certificates
- Ensuring certificates are completed
- Retrieving certificates during audit
The panel will give you their solutions to the toughest document production problems, including:
- Navigating conflicting state requirements for document production in audits.
- Producing records using various formats such as paper, electronic, or digital media.
- Training staff on document management software, and documentation procedures.
- Classifying and retaining exemption certificates for various types of exempt and partially exempt sales.
- Responding appropriately to subpoenas and requests for records submitted by independent contractors.
She is the president of Tax Technology Services, a firm that manages sales and use tax compliance functions from top... | Read More
She is the president of Tax Technology Services, a firm that manages sales and use tax compliance functions from top to bottom for large companies. She specializes in exemption certificate management.Close
U.S. Transaction Tax Manager
He manages the sales tax and federal withholding tax compliance for the company. He has been at Intel for 11 years, and... | Read More
He manages the sales tax and federal withholding tax compliance for the company. He has been at Intel for 11 years, and has worked in tax for 18. He previously worked as a sales tax auditor for the California Board of Equalization and at one of the Big Four accounting firms.Close
Associated Sales Tax Consultants
He has worked in the tax field for 35 years, starting as a California sales tax auditor, then as managing partner of... | Read More
He has worked in the tax field for 35 years, starting as a California sales tax auditor, then as managing partner of his own CPA firm, then as a sales tax consultant for three firms. He has written two reference books on sales tax topics.Close
Dr. Will Yancey
He is one of the nation's leading consultants on sampling and other preparatory aspects of sales and use tax audits. He... | Read More
He is one of the nation's leading consultants on sampling and other preparatory aspects of sales and use tax audits. He began a career in public accounting in 1983, and since then has worked in accounting for several organizations and taught at three university business schools.Close