Return Preparers Under IRS Scrutiny: Exercising Due Diligence, Badges of Fraud, Recent Cases
Note: CLE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This course will identify what actions could make a tax return preparer the target of an IRS investigation. Our authoritative panel will discuss situations that may result in fraud referrals and review current and notable cases against tax return preparers to provide steps tax professionals can take to reduce the chances of being investigated by the IRS.
- The Internal Revenue Service's current focus on tax preparers
- Civil examinations and penalties
- Criminal examinations and penalties
- Material advisers and promoters
- Actions by tax professionals that draw the IRS' attention
- Exercising due diligence
- Recent and notable cases
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the fraud indicators outlined in the Internal Revenue Manual?
- What are specific tax practitioner activities known to draw IRS scrutiny?
- What signs indicate a client's examination may become a criminal matter?
- When does the IRS' focus shift from the taxpayer to the preparer?
- What tax preparer sanctions are available to the IRS?
Niles A. Elber
Caplin & Drysdale
Mr. Elber, a Member in Caplin & Drysdale's Washington, D.C., office, has more than 20 years of experience... | Read More
Mr. Elber, a Member in Caplin & Drysdale's Washington, D.C., office, has more than 20 years of experience representing clients in civil and criminal tax controversies. His practice is broad, ranging on the civil side from IRS examinations, Appeals matters, collections and proceedings in federal court while on the criminal side handling both administrative and grand jury tax investigations. With considerable experience in offshore compliance matters for U.S. taxpayers, Mr. Elber has assisted hundreds of clients with their voluntary disclosures and income tax and FBAR penalty exams related to unreported foreign bank accounts.Close
Melissa L. Wiley
Caplin & Drysdale
Ms. Wiley’s practice focuses on assisting clients to come into compliance with their U.S. tax obligations and... | Read More
Ms. Wiley’s practice focuses on assisting clients to come into compliance with their U.S. tax obligations and advising U.S. taxpayers on all types of civil and criminal tax controversy matters at the federal and state level.Close