Restructuring Existing Trusts to Work Under New Tax Law
Key Tax Reform Provisions Affecting Trusts, QBI Thresholds, and Allocations; Managing the Legal Processes of Modifying Old Trusts
Note: CPE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide trust and estate counsel on key considerations in modifying and restructuring trusts in light of the new tax law. The panel will discuss the impact of tax reform on existing trusts, critical trust provisions, necessary changes to minimize tax liability, qualifying trusts for the new 20% deduction, and other key drafting considerations.
- New tax law changes impacting trusts
- Mechanisms and processes for modifying existing trusts
- Key trust provisions to minimize tax liability
- Qualifying trusts for the QBI deduction
The panel will review these and other significant issues:
- How does the new tax law impact existing trusts and related planning?
- What key provisions and required changes must be considered to minimize tax liability?
- What are the rules and pitfalls to avoid for qualifying trusts for the new pass-through entity deduction?
- What are the available methods and required legal processes for restructuring or modifying existing trusts?
Law Office of Miguel D. Pena, Esq.
Mr. Pena focuses his practice on trusts and estates, probate, wealth preservation, and planning matters involving... | Read More
Mr. Pena focuses his practice on trusts and estates, probate, wealth preservation, and planning matters involving estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer taxes. He represents a variety of clients including high-net worth individuals seeking sophisticated estate planning, as well as individuals who simply want to ensure that their estate reflects their wishes and values. In addition, Mr. Pena represents corporate fiduciaries in connection with estate and trust administration and advises out of state counsel on Delaware trust law, including directed trusts, decanting, dynasty trusts, and all aspects of the validity, construction, and administration of Delaware trusts.Close
Melissa A. Rodriguez
Ms. Rodriguez focuses her practice on structuring and implementing methods for clients’ wealth and business... | Read More
Ms. Rodriguez focuses her practice on structuring and implementing methods for clients’ wealth and business succession. She works with high net worth individuals to achieve their objectives while minimizing income and transfer tax exposure. In addition, Ms. Rodriguez represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service in matters concerning gift, estate, and fiduciary income tax. She also has experience in establishing and obtaining federal tax exemption for nonprofit organizations.Close