Real Estate Transactions With REITs: Selling, Leasing or Lending Deals With REITs
Navigating Unique Organizational, Operational and Tax Issues When Dealing With REITs
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare real estate counsel to handle a lending, leasing or sale transaction involving property owned by a REIT. The program will analyze unique REIT organizational, operating and tax rules that may impact terms of the transaction and outline best practices for counsel to address these challenges.
- Overview of REIT entities
- Leasing property to a REIT
- Selling property to a REIT
- Lending to a REIT
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the key organizational, operating and tax REIT rules that may impact the structure or terms of a real estate transaction with a REIT entity?
- How can the leasing transaction be structured to avoid impermissible tenant services?
- What are the tax deferral opportunities for sellers of property to a REIT entity?
- What of loan document terms will need to be negotiated to satisfy operational and tax concerns of the REIT entity?
Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson
Mr. Roman’s practice focuses on tax aspects of alternative investment funds and fund-related M&A, with... | Read More
Mr. Roman’s practice focuses on tax aspects of alternative investment funds and fund-related M&A, with significant experience in both corporate transactional work and matters involving real estate and real estate investment trusts (REITs). In addition to representing both sponsors and investors in fund formations, he has extensive experience representing investors in secondary sales of interests in private funds on both the sell-side and buy-side, as well as investors and sponsors in debt and equity co-investment transactions.Close
Gerald V. Thomas, II
Mr. Thomas focuses his practice on complex transactional tax matters. He offers significant experience with mergers and... | Read More
Mr. Thomas focuses his practice on complex transactional tax matters. He offers significant experience with mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and reorganizations, private equity funds, joint ventures, real estate investment trusts (REITs), financing transactions, and corporate and partnership tax planning. He has handled major business transactions in the U.S. and abroad, including representing a major U.S. real estate company on a number of joint ventures in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.Close