Qui Tam Actions: Guidance for Counsel for Managing Whistleblower Suits
Navigating the False Claims Act, Government Interventions and Plaintiff/Defense Motions, and Negotiating Favorable Settlements
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss evolving trends related to qui tam lawsuits and settlements that are litigated under both the federal and state False Claims Acts (FCAs). The panel will discuss best practices for pursuing or defending whistleblower cases against companies doing business with the government, including such issues as navigating procedural challenges, calculating or disputing damages and penalties, and negotiating settlements.
- Recent trends, case filings and recoveries
- Filing qui tam suits and seeking government investigation/intervention
- Procedural challenges and strategies
- Calculation and proof of damages
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the latest legal developments impacting qui tam lawsuits under the federal and state FCAs?
- What are the procedural steps a plaintiff must follow when filing a qui tam action?
- What methods are used to calculate and prove damages under the FCA, particularly when damages are not easy to ascertain?
- What have proven to be the most successful types of qui tam cases?
Hayden A. Coleman
Mr. Coleman specializes in defending consumer goods manufacturers and insurance companies facing all types of aggregate... | Read More
Mr. Coleman specializes in defending consumer goods manufacturers and insurance companies facing all types of aggregate litigation, including class actions, mass actions, and “qui tam” lawsuits. He has successfully defeated class certification at the trial and appellate levels and has extensive experience in federal and state appellate practice.Close
Shauna B. Itri
Berger & Montague
Ms. Itri concentrates her practice on complex litigation, specifically representing whistleblowers in qui... | Read More
Ms. Itri concentrates her practice on complex litigation, specifically representing whistleblowers in qui tam or False Claims Act law suits in state and federal courts throughout the U.S. and tax and securities whistleblowers with claims under the IRS and SEC whistleblower programs. Ms. Itri has worked on a series of FCA cases against large drug companies for fraudulent Medicare and Medicaid drug pricing. This litigation has returned well over $1 billion to state and federal governments pursuant to the Federal and State False Claims Acts.Close