Produced Water Compliance in Oil and Gas: Regulatory and Permitting Challenges, Management, Beneficial Use
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide counsel on the evolving regulatory trends and policies in produced water compliance. The panel will discuss permitting challenges for produced water appropriation and disposal, evolving management and beneficial use opportunities, areas of regulatory uncertainty, and how states are addressing the issue of produced water.
- Regulation of produced water
- Produced water management
- Liability concerns
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the legal risks to the company that captures produced water?
- How does federal and state regulation of produced water differ and create compliance challenges?
- What are the permitting challenges regarding produced water appropriation and disposal?
Scott D. Deatherage
S Deatherage Law
Over the last 30 years of his career, Mr. Deatherage has focused his practice on energy, environment, water, and... | Read More
Over the last 30 years of his career, Mr. Deatherage has focused his practice on energy, environment, water, and climate change. As a partner in nationally known large law firms, he has worked with clients to solve regulatory challenges and to capitalize on emerging technologies such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, blockchain, artificial intelligence and energy storage. He now has his own law firm.
Mr. Deatherage graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School, and was the Articles Editor of the Harvard Environmental Law Review. He taught Climate Change Law at the University of Texas Law School and published a book Carbon Trading Law and Practice.
In the energy context, Scott has worked with clients on electricity generation projects totaling more than $5 billion, including:
• Over 55 solar projects, including the Webberville Solar Project near Austin – at the time, the largest solar project in Texas.
• Wind projects in west Texas and other states.
• Distributed solar leases, power purchase agreements for residential and commercial installations.
• Energy efficiency and storage contracts, including negotiation on behalf of an energy efficiency company with a multi-national company for deployment of client technology in over 15 countries.
• Negotiated over 45 ground leases for solar farms.
• Worked on anaerobic digestion projects.
• Represented clients in landfill gas to energy projects.
Mr. Deatherage has advised clients on natural gas power plant, biofuels, gas to liquid, wind, solar, and other renewable energy projects, including siting and environmental permits and other legal issues, and has advised clients regarding government and utility incentives relating to renewable and energy efficiency projects, as well as property tax exemptions and abatement.Close
Kimberly Tuthill White
Ms. White advises clients on compliance with federal and state environmental regulations, environmental litigation,... | Read More
Ms. White advises clients on compliance with federal and state environmental regulations, environmental litigation, enforcement, permitting and transactional matters. Her practice focuses on compliance counseling for upstream oil and gas operators and service companies under state and federal air, water and waste environmental and oil and gas regulations. Ms. White’s practice also has a particular focus on hydraulic fracturing regulatory and legislative issues at the state, federal and international levels, specifically chemical disclosure requirements and trade secret protection. In addition, Ms. White's practice includes pipeline safety compliance counseling for companies that own both interstate and intrastate pipelines and gathering lines.Close