Private Equity Under Increased Foreign Investment Oversight: New Executive Order, Expanded CFIUS Scrutiny
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will review recent developments in outbound and inbound foreign investment oversight and the impact on private equity. The panel will discuss the Biden Administration's recent release of a long-awaited Executive Order (EO) addressing outbound investments and The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States' (CFIUS) increased scrutiny of inbound foreign investments in the United States.
- Overview of the EO and Department of the Treasury's proposed rulemaking
- Impact of the EO and proposed rulemaking on private equity
- Potential future congressional action
- Highlights from the CFIUS Annual Report and key takeaways
- Advising clients on the implications of these new enforcement priorities on their inbound and outbound foreign investment strategies
The panel will discuss these and other related issues:
- What are the implications of the EO and the Treasury Department's proposed rulemaking on private equity?
- What should private equity firms do now to prepare for these new requirements?
- What does CFIUS' increased scrutiny on private equity investments mean for current and future transactions involving inbound foreign investments?
Christian C. Davis
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
Mr. Davis’ practice focuses on U.S. law and policy affecting international trade and business. He advises clients... | Read More
Mr. Davis’ practice focuses on U.S. law and policy affecting international trade and business. He advises clients on foreign investment, export controls, sanctions, anticorruption, and customs laws. Mr. Davis’ practice focuses on representing clients in the merger, acquisition and divestiture process before the CFIUS and on accounting for associated risks. He also advises clients in negotiating and implementing CFIUS mitigation agreements, developing and administering international trade compliance programs .and conducting internal investigations.Close
Lucille (Luci) Hague
Kirkland & Ellis
Ms. Hague advises clients on complex cross-border transactional and counseling matters that touch U.S. national... | Read More
Ms. Hague advises clients on complex cross-border transactional and counseling matters that touch U.S. national security and foreign investment, including reviews by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), economic sanctions administered by Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), export controls (ITAR/EAR), antiboycott regulations, anti-money laundering laws and regulations (FinCEN), and anti-corruption (FCPA).Close
Chase D. Kaniecki
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Mr. Kaniecki’s practice focuses on international trade and national security matters, including CFIUS, economic... | Read More
Mr. Kaniecki’s practice focuses on international trade and national security matters, including CFIUS, economic sanctions, export controls, customs, and trade remedies. He advises clients on international trade and national security issues and foreign direct investment matters, including filing CFIUS notices and negotiating mitigation agreements in the energy, semiconductor, telecommunications, aerospace and defense, and transportation sectors, among others.Close