Preserving Civil Issues for Federal Court Appeals: Avoiding Waiver, Making Motions and Objections, Presenting Issues on Appeal
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare trial and appellate counsel to create and preserve a litigation record for appeal. The panel will review how to avoid waiver of issues, offer best practices for trial motions and objections, discuss appellate standards of review, and outline the presentation of issues on appeal.
- Pleading claims, defenses and theories
- Raising and waiving issues before trial
- Avoiding waiver during trial through motions and objections
- Avoiding waiver through pre- and post-verdict motions and objections
- Completing the record
- Understanding the standards of review and avoiding waiver in appellate briefs
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How should trial counsel preserve potential issues for appeal during the pleading and pre-trial stages?
- How can trial counsel avoid issue waiver during trial through motions and objections?
- What pre- and post-verdict motions can prevent the waiver of potential appellate issues?
- How can issues be developed in the trial record in ways that improve the prospects for success on appeal?
- How can appellate counsel avoid waiving issues when presenting issues in appellate briefs?
Jerrold J. Ganzfried
Throughout Mr. Ganzfried's career, major national and international firms have turned to him for their... | Read More
Throughout Mr. Ganzfried's career, major national and international firms have turned to him for their largest, most complex and sensitive cases. These engagements include strategizing cases from their inception all the way to ultimate disposition at the highest appellate courts. He has presented oral arguments before the Supreme Court in 15 cases.Close
Jamie Billotte Moses
Holland & Knight
Ms. Moses focuses her practice primarily on state and federal appeals. She also has significant experience representing... | Read More
Ms. Moses focuses her practice primarily on state and federal appeals. She also has significant experience representing clients in real estate and broker litigation, professional malpractice litigation, along with insurance and bad faith litigation.Close