Preparing the Empowered Witness: Moving Beyond the Traditions to Foster Assertive, Effective, and Authentic Testimony
Employing Common Sense, Emotional Intelligence, and Effective Techniques
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will show litigators new strategies and techniques to prepare witnesses to testify with credibility and power, even when the facts aren’t ideal and the cross-examination is fierce.
- Overview and pitfalls of the traditional approach
- Safely increasing witness assertiveness, confidence, and competence
- Common issues
- Leading questions
- Ambiguous questions
- Assumptions in questions
- Restricted choice questions
- Faulty memory
- Practicing direct and cross-examination
The panelist will review these and other crucial issues:
- Why the traditional approach often backfires
- What evidence exists that giving witnesses more leeway produces better results?
- What are the benefits of empowering witnesses?
- What kinds of personalities are best suited to new approaches?
Ken Broda-Bahm, Ph.D.
Senior Litigation Consultant
Dr. Ken Broda-Bahm has provided research and strategic advice on several hundred cases across the country for the past... | Read More
Dr. Ken Broda-Bahm has provided research and strategic advice on several hundred cases across the country for the past 21 years, applying a doctorate in communication emphasizing the areas of legal persuasion and rhetoric. As a tenured Associate Professor of Communication Studies, he has taught courses including legal communication, argumentation, persuasion, and research methods. He has trained and consulted in 19 countries around the world and is Past President of the American Society of Trial Consultants.Close