Preparing for ICE Workplace Investigations: Complying With Increased I-9 Enforcement
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide counsel and employers on I-9 compliance in anticipation of worksite inspections and audits. This program will discuss best practices to proactively avoid government action and strategies to minimize business disruption if the government targets your business for investigation.
- I-9 compliance
- How to audit yourself
- Proactive measures to ensure your I-9 records are 100% compliant
- New notice requirements for an I-9 audit
- What an I-9 audit looks like
- Preparing for an investigation
- Before an agency visit
- Your rights during an agency visit
- Worker readiness for an agency visit
- What to do if ICE shows up
- How to identify a warrant or subpoena
- Best practices to protect your rights and your business
- Legal actions you can take to limit the scope of an I-9 audit
- Specific incidences that trigger an investigation
- The difference between a raid and an audit
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- Why has ICE increased its enforcement efforts and what is the agency seeking?
- What is the difference between an ICE audit vs. an ICE investigation?
- How can employers maintain I-9 compliance?
- How can counsel prepare clients for an ICE investigation?
Mr. Lashus is Board Certified in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is a... | Read More
Mr. Lashus is Board Certified in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is a former Assistant Attorney General in Texas and became Assistant Chief Counsel with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement advising special agents during national security investigations, criminal immigration prosecutions, and worksite enforcement actions. Mr. Lashus has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Texas School of Law teaching “Emerging Issues in National Security Law.”Close
Teresa R. (Terri) Tracy
Freeman Freeman & Smiley
Ms. Tracy represents management in all areas of labor and employment law and litigation, including wrongful... | Read More
Ms. Tracy represents management in all areas of labor and employment law and litigation, including wrongful termination, discrimination, wage and hour, class action, union organizing campaigns, grievances and arbitrations, and collective bargaining. She also provides preventive services, including comprehensive counseling and training.Close