Pleading and Defending Class Actions
Leveraging the Latest Developments in CAFA Removal Jurisdiction
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will offer strategies for class action defense counsel to leverage the latest case law developments in class action removal jurisdiction.
- Recent CAFA decisions
- “Amount in controversy” standards
- “Local controversy” exception
- Mass action removals under CAFA
- New pleading and defense strategies
- Suing in multiple states under multiple states’ substantive laws
- Suing multiple states in one court under a single state’s substantive law
- Exemplar-state class actions
- Certifying exemplar-state claims involving similar or different substantive laws
- Impact of class certification denial in federal court on jurisdiction
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What new pleading strategies have plaintiffs' counsel employed since 2005 to avoid CAFA?
- How are the Circuit Courts currently responding to requests for removal in class action litigation?
- What tactics should defense counsel consider using to obtain removal to federal court?
- What is the effect of amending a pleading that was filed pre-CAFA on removal?
O'Melveny & Myers
He is a member of the firm’s Class Actions, Mass Torts, and Insurance Litigation Practice. He has represented... | Read More
He is a member of the firm’s Class Actions, Mass Torts, and Insurance Litigation Practice. He has represented clients in a variety of areas, including class and mass actions involving product liability and property damage claims, environmental and toxic tort cases, contract and construction claims, oil and gas lease disputes, and employment claims.Close
Brent R. Austin
Wildman Harrold Allen & Dixon
He concentrates his practice on complex litigation in state and federal courts nationwide, with an emphasis on class... | Read More
He concentrates his practice on complex litigation in state and federal courts nationwide, with an emphasis on class actions. In particular, he practices in the areas of class action litigation, consumer fraud and consumer protection act class actions, false marketing litigation, complex commercial litigation, civil RICO and antitrust, and product liability class actions.Close
Sean P. Wajert
He is Co-Chair of the firm's Mass Torts and Product Liability Practice Group. He has represented companies such as... | Read More
He is Co-Chair of the firm's Mass Torts and Product Liability Practice Group. He has represented companies such as Wyeth, Baxter Healthcare, Philip Morris, Amgen, West Pharmaceutical, Firmenich, and Rhodia Inc. in product liability and toxic tort actions throughout the country. He is author of the blog, Mass Tort Defense (www.masstortdefense.com), which focuses on the defense of mass torts.Close
Daniel R. Karon
Goldman Scarlato & Karon
He manages the firm's Cleveland office and specializes in plaintiffs’ consumer fraud and antitrust class... | Read More
He manages the firm's Cleveland office and specializes in plaintiffs’ consumer fraud and antitrust class action litigation. He teaches and lectures at Cleveland State University College of Law and the Ohio State University College of Law. He serves on Loyola University Chicago's Institute for Consumer Antitrust Studies’ Advisory Board, has published multiple law reviews, and lectures nationally.Close