Personal Injury Settlement Obstacles: Medical Liens, Child Support, CMS Reporting and More
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide personal injury attorneys regarding common obstacles that arise during settlement negotiations and how to overcome them. Our panel will discuss tactics for discovering potential settlement obstacles before mediation, how to request necessary records from CMS and other agencies, and how to ensure that settlement agreements correctly account for any liens or CMS issues.
- Overview of common obstacles to settlement in personal injury cases
- Discussion of how to structure discovery efforts to learn about potential settlement obstacles early on
- Strategies for obtaining necessary information from healthcare providers, CMS, child services and more
- Best practices for drafting and reviewing settlement documents involving liens, MSAs or other wrinkles
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- What are common obstacles to settlement in personal injury claims?
- How can attorneys learn whether potential obstacles to settlement exist in their case?
- If a potential obstacle is discovered, how can counsel resolve the issue to facilitate settlement?
- What is language needs to include in settlement documents to ensure that any liens or CMS issues are handled properly?
W. Bruce Barrickman
Barrickman Allred & Young
Mr. Barrickman practices general civil litigation with specialization in the areas of bad faith, child care/day care,... | Read More
Mr. Barrickman practices general civil litigation with specialization in the areas of bad faith, child care/day care, commercial litigation, construction, defamation, eldercare/nursing home negligence, employment law, employment discrimination, errors and omissions, health, disability and life insurance, medical malpractice, premises liability, products liability, sedimentation/siltation, timber overcut, trespass, trucking and wrongful death.Close
Katherine A. Cárdenas
Loizzi Cardenas Law
Ms. Cárdenas has more than 20 years of experience representing adults and minors who have suffered debilitating... | Read More
Ms. Cárdenas has more than 20 years of experience representing adults and minors who have suffered debilitating injuries in every area of personal injury. Ms. Cárdenas is a member of the highly esteemed Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum due to her repeated success in winning multi-million dollar settlements for her clients. She has tried numerous cases in state and federal court and has argued before the Supreme Court of Illinois.Close