Personal Injury and PFAS: Liability of Manufacturers and Downstream Industrial Users to Individuals and Communities
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will explore the controversial, urgent, and complicated issues arising in lawsuits seeking to recover damages or other relief for exposure to per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). The program will review the injuries, costs, and claims being asserted by individuals, secondary users, landowners, and others allegedly arising from PFAS use, storage, and disposal as well as the broad range of plaintiffs bringing suit arising from this "forever chemical."
- Overview of PFAS
- Overview of Federal and State Regulation
- CERCLA Hazardous Substance Listing
- Development of Federal and State Groundwater Standards
- Toxicity Issues
- Review of Leading PFAS Litigation
- Actions by States
- Personal Injury Claims
- Source Identification, Theories of Liability, Causation and Damages
- Lessons From PFAS Exposure Cases and Best Practices
The panel will review these and other issues:
- What is the source of information about PFAS and its impact on health?
- What is the legacy of Leach v. E. I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., No. 01-C-698 (Wood County W. Va. Cir. Ct.)?
- What is the current state of regulation at the state and federal levels?
- What are the challenges in proving causation?
- What causes of action are being alleged?
- What is the state of current and ongoing litigation over PFAS?
Emily M. Lamond
Ms. Lamond is a member in the firm’s Environmental Department. She counsels on the practical implications of... | Read More
Ms. Lamond is a member in the firm’s Environmental Department. She counsels on the practical implications of environmental liability risks in business transactions, hazardous site remediation projects, manufacturing, energy and other industrial operations, enforcement defense, environmental litigation and cost recovery actions. Ms. Lamond specializes in developing and implementing environmental risk mitigation and management strategies that enable her clients to achieve their business objectives.Close
Edward B. (Ned) Witte
Godfrey & Kahn
Mr. Witte represents clients in the service and manufacturing industries as well as government bodies in a wide... | Read More
Mr. Witte represents clients in the service and manufacturing industries as well as government bodies in a wide range of environmental matters in Wisconsin and across the U.S.Close