Patents and Export Control Compliance: Managing Risk and Avoiding Unintentional Violations
Minimizing Export Control Liability in Patent Application Preparation, Development, and Analysis of Innovation; Licensing
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide patent and other counsel on navigating the intersection of patents and export control laws. The panel will examine the challenges facing patent owners, when and where export control issues arise, and related licensing issues. The panel will offer best practices for complying with export control laws.
- Overview of export control laws
- ITAR and technologies regulated under ITAR
- EAR and technologies regulated under EAR
- Challenges patent owners face
- When and where export control issues arise
- Employment or interaction with foreign nationals in the U.S. and abroad to develop/analyze technological innovation
- Patent licensing
- Cloud storage
- Licensing issues
- Best practices for compliance with export control laws
The panel will review these and other essential issues:
- What export control compliance challenges do patent owners and applicants face?
- When do export violations arise in the patent context?
- What are the best practices for counsel to patent owners for compliance with ITAR and EAR requirements?
David S. Bloch
Mr. Bloch is an intellectual property litigator focused on helping clients understand the complex technical and legal... | Read More
Mr. Bloch is an intellectual property litigator focused on helping clients understand the complex technical and legal issues that their businesses face. He litigates patent infringement, trademark, and trade secrets cases for clients in the financial services, technology (networking), healthcare, and pharmaceutical industries. A prolific writer, Mr. Bloch is the author of IP and Technology in Government Contracts (now in its fifth edition) and many articles on IP-related issues.Close
David G. Henry, JD
Managing Partner - Waco, Texas Office
Munck Wilson Mandala
Mr. Henry is the lead partner in the Waco office and a member of the intellectual property group. He uses his private... | Read More
Mr. Henry is the lead partner in the Waco office and a member of the intellectual property group. He uses his private pilot license to travel for his cases and projects throughout the U.S. Mr. Henry's ability to pilot himself to and from a non-hub city allows him to reside in the Waco area and now spearhead the firm’s growth in a rapidly-demanding market. Since the arrival of Judge Albright to the Federal Bench, and the emergence of the Waco court as the largest patent litigation docket in the U.S., he is uniquely positioned to actively participate in the transition Waco has made from a nice place to live to the center of significant legal cases. Mr. Henry has litigated patent cases involving a wide range of technologies including medical devices, pharmaceuticals, computer hardware and software, telecommunication devices, and networks.Close