Patent Cooperation Treaty: Evaluating the Benefits and Risks, Obtaining International Patent Protection
Navigating the PCT, Priority, Selection of International Authorities, PCT Search and Examination, and More
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide guidance for patent practitioners on the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT). The panel will discuss the system's advantages and disadvantages and how to strategically use the PCT to obtain international patent protection.
- Advantages and disadvantages of using PCT
- Writing an international application
- Receiving office selection
- International searching authority selection
- Priority applications
- Making changes to the application
- Unity of invention
- Active prosecution in the PCT phase
- National stage entry
- Recent regulatory changes
- Getting help in your PCT application
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the benefits of and reasons to use the PCT?
- What should patent counsel weigh when determining where to file the international application?
- What should patent practitioners consider when selecting the ISA?
- When should patent counsel consider filing a Demand for International Examination?
- When to use the Patent Prosecution Highway after positive international examination
- When to file through the PCT and when to consider Paris Convention filings in PCT countries
Rebecca M. McNeill
Ms. McNeill offers intellectual property strategy and advises on new application preparation, patent prosecution (U.S.... | Read More
Ms. McNeill offers intellectual property strategy and advises on new application preparation, patent prosecution (U.S. and foreign), and preparation and negotiation of IP transactions, and provides the full scope of counseling services. She has a special interest in counseling clients on patent application filing and developing worldwide prosecution strategies in concert with clients’ business goals. She has managed and directed the U.S. and international patent portfolios for U.S. clients and has overseen the U.S. patent portfolio for international clients in Europe and Asia.Close
Jens Viktor Nørgaard
Partner, Head of Biotechnology & Plant Sciences
Mr. Nørgaard counsels on all areas of life science and medical technology including anything from genetics and... | Read More
Mr. Nørgaard counsels on all areas of life science and medical technology including anything from genetics and molecular biology to drugs, diagnostics, analytical equipment, medical equipment, and greentech. He counsels on IPR strategy, IPR organization and management of companies, business development, license agreements, freedom-to-operate, validity of patents, oppositions and appeals before the EPO (European Patent Office), in addition to drafting and prosecution of patent applications. He also serves as a technical judge in Norway. Since 2015 he has served as Chairman of the Board at HØIBERG.Close