Parallel State and Federal Court Class Actions: Navigating Procedural and Substantive Challenges
Coordinating Overlapping Proceedings; Navigating Differing Rules on Discovery, Evidence, Expert Witnesses and More
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will prepare class action counsel to navigate the unique procedural and substantive complexities of parallel state and federal court class actions. The panel will examine how courts have responded to requests to stay, enjoin or dismiss overlapping proceedings and discuss practical strategies for coordinating parallel proceedings and navigating differing rules on discovery, evidence, expert witnesses and more.
- Recent court developments impacting parallel class actions
- Best practices for coordinating parallel proceedings
- Discovery management in parallel litigation
- Evidence issues in parallel litigation
- Dealing with expert witnesses
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How are courts ruling in parallel class actions in which counsel requests a stay of one of the proceedings?
- What are some considerations and best practices for class action counsel for managing discovery, evidentiary issues and expert witnesses in parallel class actions?
- How can counsel best ensure that information revealed in a state court proceeding does not adversely impact the federal court proceeding, or vice versa?
Paul J. Napoli
Mr. Napoli has achieved hundreds of verdicts and settlements for his clients and has also received many awards from his... | Read More
Mr. Napoli has achieved hundreds of verdicts and settlements for his clients and has also received many awards from his peers. Following 9/11 he was appointed by the U.S. District Court as Co-Liaison Counsel representing more than 11,000 first responders and other rescue and recovery workers who became ill or were injured during the rescue, recovery and debris-removal activities at the World Trade Center site and was instrumental in obtaining settlements that are today valued at more than $816 million.Close
Laurie A. Novion
Shook Hardy & Bacon
Ms. Novion’s practice focuses on class actions, multidistrict litigation, antitrust and complex commercial... | Read More
Ms. Novion’s practice focuses on class actions, multidistrict litigation, antitrust and complex commercial litigation. She has represented Fortune 500 and other prominent companies from a wide range of industries, including pharmaceutical and chemical manufacturers, retailers, transportation providers, and food and beverage companies. Ms. Novion has extensive experience with multidistrict litigation proceedings and managing parallel federal and state proceedings. She works to develop case strategies that are aligned with her client’s goals and needs, striving to successfully, effectively and efficiently resolve litigation.Close