Operator Liability Under Federal Oil and Gas Leases
Drilling and Production Challenges, Environmental Issues, Drainage Protection, Well Abandonment, Reporting Obligations
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss critical terms and conditions of federal oil and gas leases, considerations for record title and operating rights owners, drilling and production obligations, overcoming environmental issues, drainage protection, well abandonment, and operator production and activity reporting requirements.
- Federal oil and gas leasing requirements and key provisions
- Critical considerations for record title and operating rights owners
- Drilling and production obligations and challenges
- Conduct of operations and environmental issues
- Operator reporting obligations
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What types of interests are transferrable under federal oil and gas leases?
- What are the responsibilities and obligations of record title and operating rights owners under federal oil and gas leases?
- What are the challenges in complying with applicable federal and state laws and regulations?
- What are the operator's drilling and producing obligations and issues that may arise?
- What are the obstacles and obligations involved in protecting leases from drainage?
- What are the reporting obligations for operators of federal oil and gas leases?
Bradley J. (Brad) Benoit
For nearly 20 years, Mr. Benoit has maintained a practice that serves both plaintiffs and defendants, something that... | Read More
For nearly 20 years, Mr. Benoit has maintained a practice that serves both plaintiffs and defendants, something that sets him apart from many other litigators. This balance helps him see both sides of a case more clearly and provide his clients with a broader approach to complex commercial litigation. Following along with Bracewell's core strengths, Brad focuses on representing clients in energy-related litigation, securities/derivative litigation, and bankruptcy-related litigation.Close
Stephen B. Crain
Mr. Crain has spent his career advocating for clients in high-stake and complex commercial disputes in the United... | Read More
Mr. Crain has spent his career advocating for clients in high-stake and complex commercial disputes in the United States and internationally. He is the chair of the firm's litigation section and a member of the firm's management committee. Mr. Crain's approach has been summarized by sources quoted by Chambers USA: “he’s diligent, he’s on top of things, he’s pragmatic; he takes complex situations and boils them down to their fundamentals and provides practical advice on how to move forward.” Other sources have highlighted Mr. Crain’s courtroom presence: “His understanding of the law and how receptive judges will be to different arguments is uncanny.” (Chambers USA, 2017.) His practice largely focuses on energy, securities, and construction. Mr. Crain's diverse energy practice ranges from oil and gas royalty class actions to power-trading disputes. In securities matters, Stephen represents officers, directors, and corporations in class actions and has successfully defeated multiple injunctions sought to prevent mergers. Stephen also represents owners in large-scale construction disputes.Close