Offshore Asset Protection Trusts: Structuring Foreign Trusts as Part of an Integrated Estate Plan
Underlying Concepts, Selecting Situs and Trustee, Arbitraging Competing Legal Systems, Determining Asset Composition, Administration Considerations
Presented by Barry Engel, Esq.
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide estate planners with a comprehensive guide to drafting offshore asset protection trusts as part of an integrated estate plan. Barry Engel will discuss the key practical concerns of structuring offshore trusts, such as choice of trust situs, powers that rest with the trustee, the use of multiple trustees, the use of LLCs and other entity structures to hold assets within the trust, bankruptcy and non-bankruptcy challenges to offshore trusts. Mr. Engel will also offer specific drafting tools and suggestions for maximizing the asset protection function of the trust.
- Structure of offshore trusts
- Trust protector provisions
- Choice of situs and jurisdiction considerations
- Risks in LLC structures held offshore
The panelist will discuss these and other important topics:
- What protections will offshore asset trusts provide that U.S. trusts will not?
- What statutory and judicial protections should advisers look for in selecting a situs for an offshore asset protection trust?
- What creditor protections will offshore trusts provide—and what protections won’t they provide?
Barry S. Engel, Esq.
Mr. Engel’s areas of experience include estate planning with a view toward the lifetime protection of the estate... | Read More
Mr. Engel’s areas of experience include estate planning with a view toward the lifetime protection of the estate (“integrated estate planning”), offshore planning, conventional domestic estate planning and international estate planning. He focuses on the asset protection component of integrated estate planning. His other areas of experience include offshore planning generally, conventional domestic estate planning and international estate planning.Close