Offshore Accounts in Estate Planning, Probate, and Administration: Reporting Requirements, Penalties, Pitfalls to Avoid
FBAR Reporting and Recent SCOTUS Decision in Bittner v. U.S; FATCA, IRS Audits, and Strategies to Avoid Probate
Recording of a 90-minute CLE/CPE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will provide estate planners guidance on navigating issues stemming from offshore accounts in estate planning, probate, and administration. The panel will discuss the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision in Bittner v. U.S. regarding FBAR reporting, FATCA, penalties, and other reporting requirements. The panel will also provide insight on how to handle offshore accounts in estate planning, IRS compliance, and strategies to protect offshore accounts.
- Applicable rules for foreign asset reporting
- Impact of foreign accounts on estate planning
- Navigating IRS reporting requirements
- FBAR reporting; SCOTUS decision in Bittner v. U.S.
- Strategies for foreign accounts and assets to avoid probate
The panel will discuss these and other key issues:
- What is the impact of foreign assets on probate and estate administration?
- How do you handle foreign accounts in estate planning?
- What strategies are available to protect foreign accounts?
- What are the IRS reporting requirements and pitfalls to avoid?
- What is the impact of the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision in Bittner v. U.S.?
Jeffrey S. Levin
Squire Patton Boggs
Mr. Levin’s practice includes federal, state and local taxation; estate planning, trusts and estates... | Read More
Mr. Levin’s practice includes federal, state and local taxation; estate planning, trusts and estates administration; charitable giving; and succession planning for closely held businesses.Close
Kevin E. Packman
Holland & Knight
Mr. Packman is an ACTEC Fellow and partner in Holland & Knight LLP’s Private Wealth Services Section where he... | Read More
Mr. Packman is an ACTEC Fellow and partner in Holland & Knight LLP’s Private Wealth Services Section where he leads the firm’s International Estate Planning Group. Mr. Packman’s practice includes advising high-net-worth private clients (whether U.S. or foreign) with tax, trusts and estates. This also includes pre-immigration planning and expatriation planning. He also helps clients come into compliance and resolve tax controversies.Close